National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the village of Úrhida
Click to zoom

Úrhida

(Fejér County)

In 1994 the council of the village passed an act declaring the cote of arm of the village. Part of it reads:

“Standing oval blazon in the middle, on red field, on the right side of the field, a standing sword floats with its grip upwards its tip curved to the right. Colour of sword is gold /yellow/.

On the left side of the field floats a golden /yellow/ grape hanging of a green tendril with three green grapevines leafs. The coat of arm is surrounded by a gold /yellow/ - red mantle”

Úrhida is situated SW from Székesfehérvár, only 4 km away of the county centre’s southern border, in the vicinity of Szabadbattyán and Sárszentmihály. The number of its inhabitants is close to 1800. The village has great possibility in cross country traffic since it is only 2 kilometres away from the main road number 70, and 4 kilometres away from the motorway M7.

The considerable part of the village is built, on a hill, cut through only by a few small valleys. It is built up of several streets, and lace-like parcelled plots. On the highest spot, the church of the community is situated, surrounded by the houses of the village.

The distance of sea level of the internal part of the village varies from 123 meters to 191 meters. It is bordered from NE by Sárvíz-valley’s flat area.

According to geochronological searches the oldest remains on the surface are from the Carbonic age. Estimations put this age between 310 – 240 million years earlier our time.

A great mountain chain was formed on the northern side of the today’s Lake Velencei, and on the southern side of Balaton, ending at today’s Nagykanizsa. This mountain was sunk because of strong tectonic motions, only three mountain peaks, the Szár- hill, the Kő-hill at Füle, and the Úrhidai-hill remained between the sediments of the later Thetis-sea (200 – 175 million years) and the Szarmata-sea (25 – 10 million years) and finally of the Pannon-sea (10-5 million years).

The foundation and the later development of the village was strongly affected by its natural surroundings. The once great marsh around the village, isolated its inhabitants, but it was protecting them as well.

According to historians the village gained its name after the bridge crossing the marsh, and owned by the ruler. It is likely this bridge existed at the time of Géza (Ruler of Hungary 992-997).

Though the village lies higher of the level of the Sárrét (meaning: Mud field) it does have a considerable amount of water. In the border of the village strong springs were found containing great amount of drinking water.

Úrhida was inhabited by the time of the second incoming of the Hungarians at 896.

The village was likely situated on the waterside of the small river Sárvíz since the vital fresh water was there.

The medieval Úrhida like other villages in the vicinity (Keszi, Ság, Kér, Battyán and Föveny) was built up on the waterfront of the great marsh of Sárrét. The very existence of the village depended on the water, as it is referred to in its name. (Úrhida meaning: the bridge of the prince). The mill of the village was built up there, and the burial site was there as well.

It is probable that the mill, used in medieval times, was working on the still existing Malom (mill) isle next to the bridge used today. The ditches of the mill can still be seen. It is an assumption that the medieval bridge and small fortress also could have been there.

The importance of the bridge was based upon the existence of the marsh Sárvíz. From the city of Fehérvár, the city of the wintertime quarter of Géza and the ruling city of I. István, only two roads could be used to travel in the direction of Palota and Veszprém the two cities to the west. The road passing by Úrhida was the main road. The passage existed already by the time of the roman rule in Pannon. The proof of the existence of the earth stronghold protecting the passage at that time is still missing, but one is certain, Úrhida is one of the most ancient village of the area.

The first written evidence of the village is a title-deed of I. István. He is giving as a gift the village of Füle in the district of Úrhida to the Veszprém bishopric. The parish in 1009 and in 1257 is called by the name of Hurhyda, in 1323 Urhyda, in 1437 Vrhida, between 1478-1559 Wrhyda, in 1560 by Úrhidgya in written documents. By the time of 1612 it gains the name as it is now Úrhida, it was legalized by an act in 1903.

From the 11th century the village was owned by the bishopric of Veszprém until the middle 16th century. In the second half of the years 1500 Úrhida is written up as a village of Palota castle in the Székesfehérvár náhije (Turkish legislation area). From 1582 Úrhida is part of the Batthyányi (Hungarian noble family) estate. In 1702 it is signed as a part of the domain of the Madocsányi family. From the middle of 18th century it belongs to the Farádi-Vörös family. To have people on their abandoned lands, because of Turkish pillage, they started great scale vine planting. They let out lands to Fehérvár citizens at good terms. More and more family was attracted by the good rent conditions, by the end of the 1700 years there were 112 houses built on the hill. From the Vörös family the Széchenyi family bought the village in 1826. In the life of the village the wine production remained the most important aspect.

Between the two world wars the people lived on by agricultural production, they grew vegetables, fruits and produced meet to the market in Székesfehérvár. The events of the 2nd World War did not spare the village, a lot of inhabitants died, and great amount of loss were made.

The village had self governing parish council from 1950, but in 1969 it was attached to the Great Community Parish Council in Szabadbattyán.

Úrhida from 1990 became independent again.

During the last 15 years, our village has undergone a great development. The number of inhabitants almost doubled, each year 30 to 40 new family homes are built. The systems of public works are considered finished. The budget of the village can hardly keep the pace with the quick development, which is only hindered by the limited number of free building lots. In 2004 the plan of organization of the village building system was formed. Its most important task is to preserve the village’s more then thousand year old image, on the intimate hillsides the loose density of houses in green environment, to ensure its habitants the peace and their affection along with their love for their village.

Photos:

1-2. Postcard

3-4. Úrhida village

5. Day Care Center

6. I.-II. World War Memorial

7-8. Úrhida Village Panorama

9. Catholic Church Interior with altar-piece