National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Ura
Click to zoom

Ura

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

Shield erect, pointed base, azure party per fess at the two third part by a wavy band or. In the base horse argent looking dexter, an arrow is shot through its neck. In chief, a water chestnut flower argent between two water chestnut leaves argent. The shield is held by wheat or on each side. Under the shield a band is borne with the motto: URA.

Introducing the Village of Ura

Its official and traditional name is Ura. The name of the village originates in a simple personal name given by Hungarians. It comes from the word “úr” and the affix “-a”. Ura is a village of the lower nobility with unknown origin, a certificate mentions it first from between 1291 and 1303. At the beginning of the 14th century and later the members of the Uray family and their relatives own it. From 1646, for a short time, Ádám Károlyi also has lands here; in 1810 it belongs to the Uray family again. At the beginning of the 20th century count István Tisza, Baron Bálint Uray, Sándor and Margit are also landowners of it.

The village used to lie right next to the Ecsedi marshes, which threatened with swallowing up the village all the time, indeed, it did destroy it at the beginning of the 18th century. From about 1724 to 1800 it was a wasteland. Its decolonisation began at the beginning of the 19th century.

The reformation spread in the village with the support of the Uray family. It was in 1902, that a new church was built replacing the little wooden church built in the previous century.

Throughout its history, Ura suffered a lot. Especially the marsh endangered its existence. In 1855 a great flood ruined it. From its later trials its fate concerning Trianon should be mentioned. After 1918 Ura was divided into two temporarily. The border was fixed later and the whole village came to Hungary.

Ura village can be found in the Szatmár part of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County, 100 kilometres from the chief town of the county (Nyíregyháza), 35 kilometres from Mátészalka. The village can be reached through Porcsalma and Csenger on a public way. The number of its inhabitants is 754. The inhabitants of the village are mostly pensioners. The village has the adequate infrastructure: with water supply, the gas laid on and telephone for more than 80 families. Most of its clears have surfaced roads. The local government of the village became autonomous in 1922, earlier, it existed as a fellow village of Tyukod. An independent mayor’s office operates in the village.

The seven members of the village’s Local Government Body of Representatives, led by the mayor who is chosen by the society, takes care of the tasks in upkeeping the village and the institutional network.

The institutes of the village: School, Kindergarten, Club for the Elderly, Mayor’s Office, and Doctor’s Office.

Canalisation is part of the local government’s development plans, which would add to the infrastructure from the point of view of environment protection. There is no other employer than the local government in the village, therefore, the inhabitants complement their low wages with income from agricultural activity.

The goal of the leaders of the village is to keep the inhabitants by upkeeping the institutions.