National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Újtikos [¤]
Click to zoom

Újtikos

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

Renaissance shield erect and azure, its base is pointed. In the centre of the shield a hen (tyúk/tik) is borne encouped and facing toward the dexter. Its head is adorned with a five-pointed verdured open crown, decorated with three leaves and two pearls. Above the hen in the centre of the chief a circle argent with the Holy Virgin’s name inscribed in it in letters sable.

The village of Újtikos came into being in the spring of 1938. Before this year it had been marked as Tikos tanya in maps. Upon the initiative of the Minister of Agriculture of that period some lands were cut off from the property of the chapter of Eger in order to establish a new village.

The majority of the inhabitants used to be the chapter’s servants, and, in addition to them, large families and war veterans were able to claim lands and houses for themselves and for their families at Újtikos. The chapter of Eger contracted a steward to organise the agricultural work locally and to help the inhabitants with practical advice.

In the beginning there were no public buildings at Újtikos. The four-classroom school was built in 1942. The same building doubled as church as well. The building material was already on the spot to erect a church, but due to the war circumstances it was used for other purposes. Timber was used for example to build a temporary bridge on the Tisza River, and the cement was used to pave the streets and sidewalks in the village.

In 1970 Újtikos and the municipality of Polgár had a joint local government.This situation of ’forced marriage’ prevailed for twenty years and then, in 1990 Újtikos became an independent settlement. The Mayor’s Office was established then, but a notary district came into being with the participation of Újtikos and Tiszagyulaháza. One year later the Board of Representatives decided that the notary district be ceased to exist.

Thus in 1992 Újtikos became fully independent.