National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Újszentmargita [¤]
Click to zoom

Újszentmargita

(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)

The coat-of-arms is a shield party per pale or and gules, with the base curved to a point. In the dexter field or a lily argent stalked vert, the symbol of St Margaret of the Árpád dynasty. In the sinister field gules, issuing from a triple mound vert a patriarchal cross argent. This symbol on the one hand also refers to St Margaret, while on the other hand it emphasises that the origin of the village dates back to the age of the Árpád dynasty.

The coat-of-arms symbolises the village's historical heritage, since Újszentmargita is one of the oldest Hungarian settlements. Although in the age of the Árpád dynasty it gained its name from St Margaret of Antioch, the modern settlement of Szentmargita as well as Újszentmargita, which was officially declared a village in 1946, felt that they are more closely related to St Margaret of the Árpád dynasty. Thus, partly by referring to the settlement's name and partly by emphasising that the origin of the village dates back to the age of the Árpáds, the coat-of-arms was designed according to the following facts and data:

The mediaeval Szentmargita was first mentioned rather early, in 1261.

It used to belong to the ancestral possessions of the Diocese of Eger, and during the Mongol invasion it suffered considerable destruction. In 1458, King Mathias bestowed it on István Bajomi, as a reward for his bravery shown during the fights against the Turks. In the 15th century, Szentmargita belonged to the most highly valued estates of the bishop. The growing of crop and animal husbandry were both significant. Fishing, which in the Middle Ages played a more important role than it does today, also contributed to the importance of the settlement. The wealth of the village showing certain characteristics of a market town was indicated by arbitrary actions of trespassing, which became especially frequent during the troubled times following the Hungarian defeat at the Battle of Mohács.

In 1554 the area was occupied by the Turks, which resulted in a growing uncertainty of existence and a decrease in the number of the population. It was around the same time that the inhabitants of Szentmargita were converted to the Calvinist faith, the reason for which was the religious reforms of the 1570s.

The ultimate destruction of the mediaeval village can be dated prior to 1631. Its fate for a century was determined by the negotiations following the second Haiduk revolt (1607-8). The Hungarian nobility gave in to the powerful Haiduk warriors and made an agreement with them. As a result, Szentmargita became a Haiduk possession. The Haiduk wanted to utilise the fields surrounding Szentmargita, but they did not settle down in the village itself. Thus the settlement got gradually depopulated and the fields served as pastures for the cattle of the nearby Haiduk town.

In the 1700s, Szentmargita was again taken over from the Haiduk by the Chapter of Eger. In 1711, the Chapter promoted the repopulation of the settlement and kept the manor of Margita in its own possession.

In the 19th century, the cultivation of land became important, and many villages leased land from the manor.

After the war of independence of 1848-9, the manor of Szentmargita, together with Polgár, were regarded as one administrative unit. In 1892 a parish was established at Szentmargita, the costs of which were borne by the Chapter of Eger. In 1895 the settlement developing into a village had a church built, which was consecrated to honour St Margaret.

The events and political changes that followed the second world war speeded up the pace of gradual development, and resulted in the distribution of land. On 1 January 1947, Szentmargita became an independent municipality by the name of Újszentmargita. In 1950 the country was reorganised administratively, whereby settlements were directed by local councils. After the change of the political system in 1990, the law providing for local authorities granted considerably greater democracy and a wider scope of action for Újszentmargita than the previous system.