National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Újszalonta
Click to zoom

Újszalonta

(The County of Békés)

In a traditional way the arms cites in outward appearance the arms of the Romanian "mother-town" Nagyszalonta which was given to the town in 1606 by István Bocskai.

The arms is a split shield with a sharp, cut bottom. The top of the right side is red with a standing gold lion in a green field and there is a gold, human-faced sun above it. The red colour expresses the carnages of the past and the former power-radiating pulsation and the arms animal is the symbol of the power, persistance and the fight for the everyday-being.

There are three ears of wheat in his hand symbolizing faith, hope and love but at the same time they reflect the agricultural character of the settlement.

In the blue background of the left field there is a gold bell which was donated to the village by the inhabitants. Therefore this is the symbol of the togetherness and the religious affiliation.

The human-faced sun and moon are the guarantee for life, future, revival and unity.

There is a silver military helmet which has a gold royal crown with five pearls, leaves. Five - white-, red-, blue-, red- and white-coloured ostrich feathers rise from the crown.

The veil on the two sides of the arms falls from the peak and is decorated with colourful ribbons, gold and blue on the right-hand side, silver and red on the left.

Újszalonta is situtated in the northeast part of Békés County, 5,6 kilometres south of Mezőgyán but only a dirt road connects the two villages. To the south the neighbouring village is Méhkerék 7,7 kilometres away and to the west there is Sarkadkeresztúr 5 kilometres away but just a primitive dirt road leads there. There is no road through Újszalonta, so you can reach it via Gyula-Sarkad-Méhkerék. The Mezőgyán-Újszalonta road has been in the planning stages since 1938.

The history of the settlement is closely related to that of Nagyszalonta, Romania, for Újszalonta used to be one of Nagyszalonta's farmsteads. Since the end of the XVIth century it belonged to Transylvanian principalities, and later it fell under the 'Hajdu' (Hajdu means Hayducks, an Army of foot soldiers of Bocskai in the XVIIth century wars of liberation) rule. Because of the Turks, the village was deliberatery destroyed by the Hungarians and György Rákóczi I won the famous battle of Nagyszalonta against the Turks on October 6. 1636. which took place in the fields of Újszalonta. The area was settled again at the end of the XVIIth century. Until the Trianon Treaty, when the borders were rearranged in favour of the winning powers of World War I, Újszalonta was part of Nagyszalonta administratively. Interestingly, it belonged to Romania until 1922. when a slight border correction had to be made because of the railroad lines, and then it became a part of Hungary. It got its name Újszalonta in 1927. Before 1950 Újszalonta belonged to Bihar County and only after that to Békés County. This village then became the smallest self-governing settlement in the county. Then in 1975 it was annexed to Kőtegyán, which caused the village to deteriorate. The surgery and school were shut down and the population had to migrate to other places, so only the older people stayed. After the change of the government in 1989 it got back its self-governing status, but the people of the village still feel today that there's no compensation for the neglect of the village when Újszalonta was a part of Kőtegyán.

The area is not part of any national parks, but apart from the cultivated farmlands it is a natural and undisturbed landscape in the Great Plain.

Photos:

1. Visitors' Greeting column

2. Reformed Church

3. Mayor's Office

4. Millenial headboard Grove of newborn babies