National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Újireg [¤]
Click to zoom

Újireg

(County Tolna)

Shield erect with a pointed base. It bears: argent, in chief azure a Jazygian horn reversed argent. In the field argent a digger's barrow reversed azure. Across the top a barred helm affronty argent adorned or and lined gules, gorged with a heraldic coronet or adorned with gems gules and azure; and for the crest, issuant from the coronet a patriarchal cross flanked on both sides by an ear of wheat, all or. Mantling: azure and argent.

Beneath the shield, in the middle field of a triple-sectioned, swallow-tailed concave scroll or the motto ÚJIREG in majuscules sable, with an ornamental dot before and after the settlement's name.

Facts about Újireg:

Újireg is a Jazygian settlement. It was in the early 1930s that the original inhabitants settled down in a place called Muth puszta, later renamed after them as Jásztelepszállás. In 1949 it became a village by the name Újireg. The so-called "parent settlements" are Nagykónyi and Iregszemcse. Újireg's inner area is 89 hectares, while the size of the outer fields is 1,001 hectares.

This small village of 360 inhabitants is situated in the northern part of Tolna county. It is a calm and quiet hamlet, avoided by through traffic, yet not isolated from the major nearby settlements; situated within a range of 30 kms are towns like Siófok, Dombóvár and Tamási. The largest stretch of water at Újireg is the brook Kulcsár.

The history of Újireg as a village goes back to the 1930s. The original dwellers were the Jazygians, who settled down here in 1930. During the Depression, Jászárokszállás was unable to support the large number of its inhabitants, so many families had to be relocated in various parts of the country so that they could make a living.

Eighty families left Jászárokszállás for Transdanubia. At the railway station the leave-taking people were addressed by the parson of the village, accompanied by the tunes of music and the loud cries of their parents and friends.

Their faith, desire to survive and their hope for a better life gave them strength to get on the train and leave for the scene of what was to be their new life. Thus did they arrive at the place then called Muth puszta, later renamed as Jásztelepszállás. Since its unification with Nagykónyi-Kulcsármajor in 1949, the settlement has been called Újireg.

The population grew rapidly; while in 1930 the village only had 227 inhabitants, by 1949 this number had grown to 720. Since then the population has been on the decrease; in 1990, the number of the villagers was only 402. In 1960, twelve dwellers lived in the outer fields called Újiregi tanyák (farmsteads).

When the Jazygian settlers arrived, the area was owned by the Zichy family, and there were only a few farm buildings scattered around. The newcomers acquired land and obtained agricultural equipment on long-term lease, and set about cultivating plants typical of the Alföld (Great Plain) region. Some of the men found temporary employment as diggers elsewhere in Transdanubia.

The Jazygians are a hard-working, self-confident people. By their laborious efforts, the small village revived. They had their chapel in the school building, and have always remained faithful to their Catholic religion.

The descendants of the original Jazygian settlers have kept the perseverance and strength inherited from their ancestors.

Pictures:

1. The Mayor’s Office

2. Community Centre

3. Roman Catholic Church

4. Roman Catholic Church

5. Jász Memorial

6. World War II Memorial