National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Újhartyán [¤]
Click to zoom

Újhartyán

(County Pest)

The coat-of-arms is a shield party per pale, with a pointed base. In the dexter field the bars gules and argent, the ancient colours of the Árpád dynasty, refer to the fact that the village was founded in the Árpádian age. This symbol expresses the most important event in the settlement's history, the settling of the first dwellers in the age of the Árpáds.

In the sinister field azure a garb banded or, taken over from the village seal. This symbol represents Újhartyán's German settlers, and refers to their agricultural activity and hard work.

The number of Újhartyán's inhabitants is 2800. The ethnic composition has changed several times; around the time of the resettlement of more than 200 years ago the majority was German, with a minority of Slovaks and Hungarians, who in the 19th century got Germanised; however, by the second half of the 20th century, the settlement had adopted the features of a typical Hungarian village.

Újhartyán is located in the county Pest, by an important traffic junction, at the Dabas-Pilis exit of the M5 motorway (by the number 43 kilometre stone). It is also here that road number 405, which connects trunk road 4 with the M5, joins the motorway.

Of the Grassalkovich estates in our region, Újhartyán is the only village (destroyed around 1600), the resettlement of which in 1764 is related to Count Antal I. Due to an intensive migration the settlement, initially dwelt by Germans, Hungarians and Slovaks, turned into one with a majority of Catholic Germans. They adopted methods of production and sale brought from their homeland. Following the reconciliation between Austria and Hungary, many big families multiplied their wealth. This closed community of well-to-do people, homogeneous both financially and in religion as well as ethnicity, suffered the first serious blows in the mid-20th century. As was the case with other urbanised villages, here also many (14) fell victim to the holocaust, whereas the German majority was to face the threat of being resettled. Although they managed to avoid this danger, more than 300 dwellers of Hartyán were taken to Ukrainian forced labour camps for reparations. This was followed by the shocking events of the fifties, which brought financial destruction to the traditionally wealthy community. Nor could the population evade forceful collectivisation, but later the specialised co-operative system, which allowed for privately-run vegetable gardening on no larger than 3-6 acres of land, offered people relatively free conditions to produce for the market. All this made it possible that, as compared with other villages, the financial situation and the living standard of Újhartyán's inhabitants develop more steadily and uninterruptedly. The results manifested themselves in both the looks of the village and the level of the villagers' education. The innovative talent deriving from historical heritage and the processes described above are still typical features of Újhartyán, as is the renaissance of religious and ethnic traditions. All this determined the life of the local community with a unique and well-developed sense of identity even in the times when the political situation did not allow for such freedom.

The village has always lived its life according to ethnic German traditions, which are still being kept. This reveals itself in religious practices, on various festive occasions and wedding feasts. Today our German mother tongue is only spoken, or rather understood by the elderly, but our musical mother tongue is kept and used. Our brass bands and folk dance ensembles are active and popular. On the one hand they cherish historical traditions, while on the other they satisfy the cultural needs of the present day. They regularly participate in ethnic German cultural events throughout the country, but Újhartyán itself also hosts such events.

Újhartyán is a clean and orderly place featuring nice houses and parallelly running streets; a sight that first-time visitors never fail to praise. As regards the village's appearance, modern two-storey buildings blend well with L-shaped urban houses with tiled or garret roofs, erected in the 1970s. The only listed building of the village, the Roman Catholic church in Fő utca (High Street) is a fine match. Turn-of-the-century atmosphere is also evoked by the parish building next to the church and the village hall at a distance of a few hundred metres (built in 1913). As was recorded in the same year by the local Historia Domus, " ... an appropriate and modest building with a fine and practical layout, built on the site of the old one - the reason why it does not look even more impressive is the lack of space ... with this building the village has catered for its needs for a civic centre for centuries."

Touristic attractions including the forest of Pótharaszti on the edge of the village, where the building of Pusztatemplom (church) is still awaiting archeological research, as well as the vicinity of Vacsi erdő (forest) offer various opportunities for excursions to be organised. With its hard-working and hospitable dwellers, Újhartyán is an ideal place to join the network of settlements involved in village tourism. This ambition can further be promoted by the fully developed local infrastructure including digital trunk calls, gas pipelines, water mains, a sewage system, a pharmacy, a restaurant and an inn. A motel on the motorway and further accommodation facilities are also available.

E-mail: ujhartyan@mail.datanet.hu