National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szurdokpüspöki [¤]
Click to zoom

Szurdokpüspöki

(The County of Nógrád)

Kite shield erect, base pointed, parti per fess or and vert. In chief and partly in fess (upper field) or a pontifical hat signifying the rank of bishop, braided, with six tassels on the dexter and on the sinister respectively, all vert. Under the hat, enfiled by the tassels and issuing from a heart, a Latin cross with limbs broadening outward and edges slightly convexed, all gules. In base and partly in fess (lower field) vert a bunch of grapes or with two leaves, flanked on both sides by a wheat ear or, borne curving and with the stalks crossed in saltire.

Under the shield, on a curved scroll alaisé or with swallow-tailed ending the motto SZURDOKPÜSPÖKI is borne in block capitals sable. Before and after the name an ornamental dot respectively.

The coat-of-arms was created on the basis of the settlement's former seal charges. Thus it was made possible that the coat-of-arms continue the old traditions related to local history, and that the meaning carried by the seal charges survive in the form of an emblem of a higher rank, in the coat-of-arms.

The village of Szurdokpüspöki came into being by the union of two villages, Zagyvaszentjakab and Szurdokpüspöki. The cross issuing from a heart in the coat-of-arms is the combination of two separate old motifs borne on the seals of the two former villages, thus it symbolises the organization of the two settlements into one community.

The green pontifical hat with the six green tassels is a charge symbolising the rank of bishop, for Szurdokpüspöki is one of the ten settlements bestowed in 1004 by St Stephen on the Bishopric of Eger.

The bunch of grapes and the two ears of wheat flanking it symbolise agricultural work, out of which the inhabitants made their living in the past, and they partially do so in the present as well.

Szurdokpüspöki Today

Szurdokpüspöki (Hungary) lies at the south-western foot of the Mátra mountain, in the Zagyva river, where , running out of the mountains, the valley of the river broadens. In the East, it is bordered by the western foothills of the Mátra mountain (the Muzsla Hill 805 ms, the Nagy-Koncsúr Hill 640 ms, the Kis-Koncsúr Hill 594 ms, the Istenfa Peak 444ms), and in the West, by the gentle slopes of the Cserhát mountain , which turn into mounds here.

Szurdokpüspöki, the Thousand Year-Old Village

The first part of the name of the village, refers to the ravine like valley that can be found between the mountains around the village, which lies at the entrance of the ravine. The people who have played the major role in the history of the last thousand years, have been the inhabitants, who, with hard work, have cultivated the lands, changed the landscape, and made it fit for habitation. The result can be seen by the man of the present.

The sights of the village

The most important sight of the village is the Szent Kereszt Church, built in 1796. The most precious part of the building, protected by care of monuments, are the high altar, the side-altar, the pulpit, and the organ, all built in the Baroque style. The antipendium part of the high altar is an art-craft masterpiece, made of leather in the 18th century, a unique work of art in County Nógrád. The church in Jakab, the other part of the village, was built from 1904 until 1906. In its altar-piece we can see St. James preaching, whom Gyula Túri, the painter, represented as surrounded by the inhabitants, dressed in clothes of the centenary style.

In the village, a monument was raised to the memory of the new millennium . It’s Jr.István Szabó’s work, who is a Hungarian Kossuth Prize winner sculptor. The composition unifies the most precious motives of Hungarian cultural relies. The row of vine cellars on the skirts of the village, in the Kis Valley, reminds us of the traditions of viniculture, hundreds of years old in this village.

Whenever they arrive, visitors can always finds some inhabitants having cellars in the village, thus they have the possibility to taste the noble wine made at the foot of the Mátra mountain. The mountains surrounding the village provide excellent tour facilities, silence, peace, and fresh air. The village is also the destination of the annual Mátrabérc and Kolos Hanák achievement tours.

Photos:

1. View of the Village with the Mátra in the background

2. Holy Cross Church

3. St. James Church

4. Aerial view (Holy Cross Church)

5. Row of cellars

6. Millenial monument

7. The local national costume

8. Anna Liget Holiday house

9. Chapel at the edge of the village

10. View of a street of the village - fragment