National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Szorgalmatos
Click to zoom

Szorgalmatos

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

The coat-of-arms of the village of Szorgalmatos is a vertical eschuteon enclosed with an even arch. It is a shield is azure. Situated on the barrulet argent coming from dexter is a conventional bistre eagle with spread wings. In the field azure above the barrulet there is a bunch of grapes with a leaf, while in the field azure, below the barrulet, we see a conventional depiction of the Calvinistic church of the village Szorgalmatos. Within the cotise under the eschuteon stands the inscription: SZORGALMATOS.

The History of Szorgalmatos

Our village Szorgalmatos with its almost 1000 inhabitants is situated in the northeast region of Hungary. It is located in the western part of the county of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg equidistant from Tiszavasvári and Tiszalök. The village is 220 kilometres away from the capital and it lies east of Nyíregyháza, which is 30 kilometres away. Until the 20th October 2002 it came within the government of Tiszavasvári, but with the election of the new local government it gained the right to be a separate village. It is the 229th settlement of the county Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg.

Findings in the outskirt of the village evidence that the area has been already populated during the conquest of the Huns. In 1472 the king has bestowed the village to the Báthory family. It belonged to Transylvania from 1619. Under the aegis of Transylvania the village was spared from the bondsmen taxes and it was allowed to live peacefully, practicing its religion of choice.

In the 17th century it came into the possession of the Dessewffi family. As an effect of the agrarization of lands in Nagyatád, in 1924, the clear of Szorgalmatos, a total of 63 hectares, was divided into 452 parcels of 300 négyszögöl (=Hungarian measurement, square cords).

In 1926 the first five houses were built in Szorgalmatos and soon after came new houses. The poorest people of the neighbouring settlements, soldiers returning from the war and mean newlyweds bought plots here, mostly on the instalment system. They were redeeming their debts by working for day-wages or as domestic servants. The tiny white village, with one-roomed houses, which were surrounded with a vegetable-plot, and with people keeping cattle, pigs and fowls, was perfectly settled for self-supply. There was a domanial grapery near Szorgalmatos were the settled people earning their bread for day-wages. The flourishing viticulture provided the survival of the village. This is why the motif of grapes on the coat-of-arms of Szorgalmatos signifies past, the beginning. While the summer passed with hard work, the winter was a season of celebrations and ‘disznótor’ (= a tradition of butchering pigs).

The villagers were equally poor. This extraordinarily enforced the feeling of togetherness in the people of Szorgalmatos. The interdependedness, mutual love and respect formed so strong a bond that exists even today. People gathered around in the evenings at each other’s houses. They were grinding corn, plucking feathers, doing embroidery and talking with each other or simply just singing. Often did they rest their tired limbs with dancing to the sound of the zither and the accordion. The villagers were diligent, hard-working people and they were gladly hired to labour. They gladly competed with each other in hoeing. This is where the settlement got its name: Szorgalamtos, which means diligent, hard-working, worksome.

The people from Szorgalmatos were a respectful, honest and humble, but very poor. They gained their small possession with hard work, thus they treated it with great care and attention. Due to this prejudices were formed in the wealthier inhabitants of the governing village, which could not be rooted out successfully event today.

The Alkaloida Vegyészeti Gyár (Alkaloida Chemical Factory) built in 1920’s in the neighbouring village of Szentmihály provided for the living of many families from Szorgalamtos, however, it hindered the village’s development, for it had ’siphoned off’ part of the intellectuals and the skilled workmen from the settlement. 131 children from Szorgalamtos went to Calvinistic school in Szentmihály. In 1935 the village petitioned for building of an own school, but this could only take place after Béla Kabai, the only well-off villager of Szorgalamtos, took into his own hands the schooling affairs. This is how the school of Szorgalamtos was built in 1938. It had only one classroom first and by 1940 it got another one. The modernized, expanded facility is still standing and working, satisfying the people’s demands, requirements.

The settlement has finally stepped on the track of development. A Producer’s Cooperative was formed in Szorgalmatos under the name of ’VIT’, and then under the name ’Új Idő’ (=New Age). There weren’t any skilled experts, however, despite the unfavourable elemental terms, the resourceful and enterprising men have managed to make high profit. Sand-pits were opened one after the other. Due to the growing of tobacco, melon and pea the commerce started blossoming. The Cooperative brought significant development into the life of the settlement.

In 1995, with the financial aid of a competition won from the Ministry of Népjólét (=Wealth), a Parish Hall has been built. That year the Szorgalmatosért Egyesület (For Szorgalmatos Association) was formed. Their main goals are: overcoming the lacks in social and cultural areas, and developing the physiognomy of Szorgalmatos. The Association took the lead of the social self-organization and grew out to be the chief institution of the village.

The total number of the inhabitants is 955 people at the present. It is a great joy that the population is getting younger, considering the average age, and the tendency also indicates growth in number of inhabitants. The eagle in the coat-of-arms of Szorgalmatos may be associated with this company, but it also alludes to the future and development. The future of the village, which is arching upwards on fast wings. In 1997 the church at the heart of the village was built from a large donation made by the Révész family. The church is a determinant motif of the coat-of-the arms of the settlement. It is predestined to represent the present; The present in which the existence of a church and a school assumes autonomic government. Next to the churchyard a playground is expecting the children.

The very settlement that gave shelter to our ancestors, the ground which was watered by the sweat of servants and hired men, the place where the past, present and future intersect now takes its first steps on the “European road” and looks ahead proudly with its head held up.