National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szögliget
Click to zoom

Szögliget

(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zempén)

The village of arms: standing, triangular skiver military shield with green and red, which is in the green field on the right side one leafy, two bunchy golden vine stock and a grape-vine sharp knife is flooting, while in the red field on the left side above there is silver bastion, under there is silver teary oak-tree. On the shield there is a reel with red-silver-green colour, up on is there is a right turning, opened wing, crowned golden falcon. Under the shield floating a ribbon with SZÖGLIGET inscription.

Introducing Szögliget

The village of Szögliget lies in the area of the Aggtelek National Park in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. The settlement can be found near the Ménes stream. To get there, one has to turn off Route 27 to the north of the Bódva valley.

The village - as its name shows in Hungarian (“nailgrove”) – is a real grove. The settlement hiding in a cirque is enclosed from three sides by high hills with rich vegetation. It can be reached only from the fourth direction on the road between the gently sloping hills.

The nearby karstic mountains are hiding countless caves and dolinas and karstic springs with crystal-clear water can be found in their sides and these supply the area’s settlements with drinking-water. In the middle of the village there are lukewarm springs and these do not freeze in at winter.

Near the village, above the valley of Ménes stream are the ruins of the Szád-castle on the top of a 460-meter high craggy peak. In its golden age, this castle guarded the road between Kassa and Miskolc in the Bódva valley. On the north-western part of the castle hill lies the ruined village of Derenk, wich belonged to Szögliget in the earlier times. The 110 houses of the village were destroyed for the command of Miklós Horthy who wanted to make the area a huge hunting field. Nowadays the emigrated people from Derenk meet regularly to hold a dedication festival.

A few kilometres far the important hunting field, Szelcepuszta can be found, which has forests with very rich wildlife.

Szögliget’s population – according to the latest information – is about 800 persons. Most of the inhabitants are old people, the settlement’s population grows old.

Szögliget’s history

In the second half of the 13th century Szögliget has already been a Hungarian inhabited settlement, according to the records. The village and the Szád Castle were built in the same time, the village’s inhabits were the serfs of the castle.

The catholic church was built about 1250 – 1300 just the same period as the castle.

In the 15th century the village was called Zegliget and Szegliget. According to the period documents based on the drawing of Tolna county in 1424 the Bebek family’s settlement was made up of 39 serf cottages.

It’s worth to mention the Castle’s siege in 1566 when Mrs. György Bebek née Zsófia Pathóczy defended the castle bravely but, unfortunately, she failed in the end.

Having been conquered by the troops of the Austrian Emperor, the Castle was let out for rent for a period of time. However, in 1686, a decision was made in Vienna that the castle had to be destroyed. After that the domanial centre was placed to Szilas (Bódvaszilas), and the Szögliget barton was administered by a land steward, for whom even a grange was built, which still stands. There was also a seigniorial mill in the village which operated up until 1900; a new mill was built in the 1910s.

The protestant church of the settlement was built between 1798 and 1800.

Children had two schools in the village which was divided on the basis of the two major religions.

A state kindergarten named “Children’s Shelter” was established in 1896, which was under religious tutorage. The construction of the new kindergarten was completed in 1912 (today’s Town Hall), and this institute kept on being under the surveillance of the churches. In 1921, the border-wardenship took control of the building for a while. (In compliance with the Trianon Decision, the new borderline was demarcated near Derenk- Vidomáj.)

In 1938, in accordance with the Vienna decision, Hungary got some of its territories back, therefore the border-wardenship moved away. The road to Rozsnyó opened up, thus there was through traffic in Szögliget again.

From the end of the 1920s to 1944, the forests surrounding Szögliget were the hunting fields of Miklós Horthy, the Hungarian Governor at that time. In order that a close-knit hunting area could be formed, the settlement of Derenk was resettled, and all the belongings of the houses (even the roofs!) except for the bare walls were relocated in a different area. The centre of the hunting area was Szelcepuszta, where a wooden hunting castle was built for the governor, but this castle was pulled down in the 1950s.

After World War II, the country border was placed back to Vidomáj.

During the war, a partisan unit called “Petőfi Brigade” lived in the forests between Szögliget and Rozsnyó.

At the end of WWII, nationalization started and the producers’ cooperative was formed in 1960.

Today, the buildings of education are the Day-Care Kindergarten built in 1979 and the Primary School built in 1989.

For cost saving reasons, the settlement joined the rural district created by the villages Perkupa and Varbóc in 1998, yet the issues of the local inhabitants are settled in the local office.