National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sződ [¤]
Click to zoom

Sződ

(County Pest)

Military shield erect party per pale gules and azure, the base pointed; issuant from a mound vert a two-leaved vine stock with three bunches of grape argent coiling around a prop in pale ending in a patriarchal cross. The dexter side bears: gules, a coulter palewise argent pointed upward and bladed to the sinister. The sinister field bears: azure, a ploughshare palewise argent bladed downward and bladed to the dexter. As supporters, an ear of wheat or on the dexter and on the sinister side respectively.

The village of Sződ is situated in the one-time flood area of the Danube, by the edge of the Gödöllő Hills, at a distance of 30 kms northeast of Budapest. During its history Göd did not witness famous events, nor was it the birthplace of renowned artists or scientists. The dwellers have always lived the lives of everyday people.

The first written (documented) mention of Sződ, then by the name Szenden, dates back to 1255, to the reign of King Béla IV. Later this document was ordered to be rewritten by King László IV, who also confirmed it on 18 April 1288. As can be concluded from the written evidence referred to above, the settlement existed as early as the foundation of the Hungarian state.

The memory of these olden times is kept by a palmette-ornamented stone from the 11th century, discovered in 1953 on the steps of the church gate. It is probable that this carved piece of stone got to Sződ from Vác in the years that followed the Mongol invasion.

In mediaeval sources referring to Sződ, which are rather scarce, the settlement is mentioned as the possession of the Szécsi family, who in November 1579 were still the owners of the village.

The Turks first appeared in the area in September 1526 when, after their victory at the Battle of Mohács, they were raiding all along the Danube as far as Vác. In the 150 years that followed, the history of Sződ was closely related to that of Vác. According to the frequent changes in the fortune of war, the area was owned in turn by the Hungarians, the Habsburgs and the Turks.

The Turks managed to consolidate their possession from 1544 onward. Within the Sanjak of Buda, Sződ belonged to the nahije of Vác. According to 16th century Turkish registers, the village grew in population and wealth. The registers dated 1546 and 1559 already mentioned the settlement by the name Sződ.

Ferenc Rákóczi's war of independence left the area drained. After the fall of the war a large number of Hungarians and Slovaks from Upper Hungary chose to live in this region. While in 1720 the majority of the dwellers of Sződ were Hungarians, in 1728 the Hungarian family names were outnumbered by Slovak ones. It was the landlordship of the Grassalkovich family that had the most profound effect on the history of Sződ. The village's present appearance and features took shape in that period. The two listed buildings, the church and the residence of the parish priest, were also built at that time. Together with Göd puszta, the Grassalkovich family bought Sződ from the Madách family in 1736.

During the reign of Empress Maria Theresa the population of Sződ grew bigger by half. The urbárium (document listing the dues relating to socage) came into effect in 1769.

During the revolution and war of independence of 1848-9 an unfortunate event happened, whereby the local magistrate, due to a misunderstanding in connection with the organisation of the national guard, was arrested and condemned.

In the years preceding the first world war the most important event took place on 22 June 1912, when the first district doctor was chosen, whereas the years following the war were marked by the beginning of electrification.

Together with Vác, the village of Sződ was liberated from under the German occupation on 8 December 1944. In 1950 Sződliget, which until then had been part of Sződ, became an independent village itself.

The social changes caused by industrialisation in the area greatly affected life at Sződ, where the majority of the dwellers became commuters. Apart from the agricultural co-operative, no other major employer was to be found in the village.

The changing of the political system in 1989-90 also resulted in various problems: the number of the unemployed grew and the youths found employment in the towns, which offered better job opportunities. Today the most important employer of the village is the local authority and its institutions.

In two parts of the village (Nevelek dűlő [field] and Csörög) the number of the dwellers is growing, whereas the population of the old village is getting older.

Pictures:

1. The Roman Catholic church at Sződ

2. The Roman Catholic church at Sződ-Csörög

3. The Roman Catholic church at Sződ-Csörög