National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Szirmabesenyő [¤]
Click to zoom


(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

The coat-of-arms is a military shield erect azure with a pointed base, in chief parti per fess gules. In the chief gules a stiff Pecheneg bridle or, in the field azure a male arm borne alaisé, holding three ears of wheat, all or.

Across the top an open barred helmet, round the gorget on a chain a medaillon, all or. The helmet is crested with a three-pointed coronet verdured or. Issuing from the crown a demi-crab gules, holding a wreath or. The band wavy argent dividing the fields gules and azure symbolises the River Sajó. The scarves, issuing from the top of the helmet and enfiling the shield on the sides, are azure and or on the dexter, and gules and argent on the sinister.

As regards Szirmabesenyő, or more exactly the old (Sajó)Besenyő and Szirmabesenyő (also called Alsókelecsény), which united to form the village of today, the use of their seals was first borne by evidence at the beginning of the 18th century. Although no seals from either of the settlements have survived, three versions of print are known:

1. At Berente, in the archives of the Szepessy family of Négyes, on a document referenced fasc. XXVII. nr. 22. and dated 1715, issued by "the honourable magistrate of Szirma Bessenye with his counsellors", a wax seal with a diameter of approx. 2 cm can be seen, the charge of which is a male arm borne contourné, holding three ears of wheat and circled by a wreath;

2. In the archives of the county of Borsod, on a document referenced XXII. III. 618 of the Acta Politica series, the print of a seal with a diameter of approx. 3.5 cm can be seen, on which a coulter and a ploughshare are borne, and the legend of which reads ZIRMA KELeCEN FALU;

3. Referenced as the one described above, another document can also be found, on which the seal print of (Sajó)Besenyő can be seen, which bears a male arm holding three ears of wheat, and the legend of which reads SIGILLUM BESENYEN. 1715.

Based on the above it can be claimed that both "precursor" settlements owned symbols that were suitable for their identification, and which they used for a long time e.g. for the authentication of their documents.

As regards history, from the name of the settlement it can be inferred that the village used to be the dwelling place of the Pechenegs, who moved in continually from the 10th century onwards, and who were settled by the central government in various parts of the country. Sajóbesenyő, as a settlement with its own church, was mentioned by sources from the 14th century onwards. The village even survived the Turkish occupation. The first documented mention of Alsókelecsény also dates back to the 14th century, but in 1544 it was destroyed, and for exactly one and a half centuries it was a deserted settlement. It was in 1694 that the king granted the Szirmay family a title deed, according to which they obtained the right to resettle their serfs living in the village of Szirma; hence the anterior constituent Szirma in the name of the village. The two settlements were united in 1939 by the name of Szirmabesenyő.

Out of the historical past two motifs are to be highlighted on: the Pecheneg origin of the villages and the resettlement by the Szirmays. For the representation of these features in the coat-of-arms, the following features lend themselves the best:

1. Albeit it is very difficult to distinguish the archeological evidence related to the Pechenegs from that of other peoples during the age of the great migration, archeologists are uniform in maintaining the view that the stiff bridle (i.e. the one that is not joined in the middle with a hinge) is to be linked with the Pechenegs;

2. The red crab holding a wreath with its pincers is a very characteristic and commonly known heraldic charge of the Szirmays.