National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Szikszó
Click to zoom


(The County of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén)

In a pointed base shield azure, on a mound vert a bird argent stands, holding a vine argent in its beak, from which a bunch of grapes argent hangs on both sides. Above the shield a seven pointed open coronet argent and or is placed inlayed azure and ruby. The shield is held by two branches vert. Below the shield on a scroll or the motto SZIKSZÓ is borne.

Szikszó is situated in the valley of the River Hernád, at the foot of Magyar Hill. That is where the Cserehát Area begins.

The area the southern gate of which is Szikszó.

The spread of the town is bounded on the north by the Magyar Hill and on the east by the flood-plain of River Hernád.

The town centre is characterised by the bulk of the Reformed Church. This is one of our biggest churches from the Middle Ages. It has a huge tower which can be seen from the distance. The church was originally built at the beginning of the 13th century in Romanesque style. Later it was reconstructed to have a nave with two transepts. The nave of the church was recessed by a semicircular apse, and had a huge tower. That reconstruction happened in the 14-15th century. Only those parts of the original building survived which were directly linked to the tower.

The name of the settlement was first mentioned in a charter in 1280. The name had a couple of different spellings during the Middle Ages : Sixo, Sykow, Zekzou, Zykzo. The first part of the name ("szik") means ponds that became dry in summers without rains. The second part ("aszó") means a valley.

The settlement was mentioned in documents as a royal town in 1392.

The town was able to develop because of its special geographical situation. The main trade route heading for Kosice and further on for Poland crossed the town.

There were herds of cows, sheep and other animals in the meadows around the town. The vineyards of the surrounding hills abounded with wine.

After the World War I. Szikszó became a county town. The settlement could hold this position until 1938. when Kosice, being again the part of Hungary, regained and had it till 1944. Between the two World Wars the most important innovations took place (offices, roads, electrics, schools, the hospital).

After World War I. there was no secondary education in the town as it had fewer than 5000 inhabitants. The first form of secondary school was opened in 1928. The Rákóczi Ferenc II. Hospital started to wort in 1930. There hadn't been a hospital in the county before. It's interesting that even those who did not live on farming hired fields, mostly vineyards. Farm-buildings were rituated on the hillside of Magyar Hill in the row of cellars.

Most of the inhabitants lived on agriculture as there was no industry in this area.

As the guilds started to develop a well-to-do group of citizens was born. The old streetnames (eg. Varga utca = Cobbler Street, Bolt utca = Store Street, Asztalos köz = Joiner Stret, Serház utca = Brewery Street) refer to the number of craftsmen and tradesmen living in the town.

In the fields of the town you can find a lot of different plants as the soil differs in certain areas.

Both crops and vegetables can be grown around here. The sunny hillsided are ideal places for growing grape. We know that the inhabitants mainly carned their living by making wine in the 18th century.

Nowadays Szikszó as a part of that area that serves Miskolc started to function as the suburb of Miskolc.

It's easier and takes shorter to drive from the Búza Square in Miskolc to Szikszó than to the paper factory which is in the actual area of Miskolc.

A good number of Szikszó's inhabitants work in Miskolc, at the same time the inhabitants of smaller villages around Szikszó can get important city service by the hospital and the secondary grammar school in Szikszó.