National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szihalom
Click to zoom

Szihalom

(The County of Heves)

The Bried Story of Szihalom:

Szihalom is lying in a flat country, by the side of Streams Eger and Rima. Until 1950 it belonged to County Borsod, but the vicinity of Sósrév and a meadow called Koszperium had already been counted to County Heves.

The time when the village origiined is unknowned. According to the monography of County Borsod - which is based on Anonymus' historical work - it had been existing during the Conquest of Hungary. Before that, it might lived by Slavics. Anonymus had already mentioned Szihalom as Zenuhalmu: "Árpád - when they were going towards the stream of Eger - had a rest and stayed here for days. The hill on which they stood was called Zenuhalmu (Szín-halom)." Centuries later the name of the village became Szénhalom and it was the estate of the Bishop of Eger given by King St. Stephen, and it had manorial rights. In 1261 King Béla IV. re-established this privilege. Szihalom had already had a parish at that time.

Documents form the 13th century mention the village as Zenhalom, Zenholm and Scenholm. In 1317 one half of Szihalom belonged to the bishop, the other to the chapter. In the 15th century the Zyhalom-name appears in the documents. The border of the village extended from Alsóbő to Czepes-puszta. In 1417 it was mentioned as a custom-station of the bishop, the Bishop of Eger took tolls here - probably at the Sósrév. There are not any facts for the date when the village got its present name.

In 1550 the 11 married men - who lived here - payed taxes also for the Turks on the wheat, the beehives, the pigs, the hay and the meadows of the treasury. At the time of the siege of the Eger-castle, Szihalom was burnt down by the Turks, in 1554 the Turkish pasha and in 1566 the Tartars destroyed the village.

In 1699 Szihalom is abandoned, its meadows were hired by János Butler - commander of Eger's castle. By the beginning of the 18th century it became populous. The poulation in 1787 was 1389. Its landlord was the Bishop of Eger - later the cathedral chapter. At the time before 1848 Szihalom was a fee esate, but after 1871 it became free.

It had no woods, two streams served the village - the Rima and the Ostoros -, but every summer they dried up.

In 1920 the the number of inhabitants was 2973, later this number went up to 3250.

Since 1930 the population has been continuously decreasing.

In the first half of the 20th century Szihalom was ravaged by World War I. and II. The first school was built in 1758, since 1959 the village has have a library.

Monuments, sights:

Roman Catholic Church: built in 1759 beside the main street. Single-aisled, baroque church.

Árpádvár/Földvár: settlement from the early-, and middle Bronz Age

Kálvária (Calvary): memorial with 7 stations - built in the 19th century.

Zsóry - holiday centre: in the border of Szihalom and Mezőkövesd, built on natural medicinal waters.

E-mail: szihalom@konyvtar.C3.hu

Homepage: www.ektf.hu/~pacme