National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szigetújfalu [¤]
Click to zoom

Szigetújfalu

(Pest County)

Triangular shield erect and vert, chief azure. In field azure a six-pointed star is borne encouped, on each side flanked by a heraldic rose, or. In field vert a bunch of grapes is borne, encouped with two leaves, all or. Above the grapes a five-pointed and open verdured crown, or. Below the shield a swallow-tailed tripartite ribbon or with the settlement’s name SZIGETÚJFALU inscribed in it in capital letters sable. Before and after the settlement’s name an ornamental dot sable.

The village of Szigetújfalu is located on the left bank of the Danube river, on the island of Csepel in Pest County. It is at a distance of approximately 35 kilometres south of Budapest.

It was in 2002 that the settlement celebrated the 700 years of its foundation.

The first written documents mentioned the village by the name Iufalu, later it appeared in contemporary maps as Ófalu, eventually Újfalu. The word ’sziget’ as anterior constituent in the settlement’s name appeared in 18th century documents and it served as reference to the geographical ’island’ location of the settlement. The village has been using the present-day name of Szigetújfalu since 1900.

Triangular shield erect and vert, chief azure. In field azure a six-pointed star is borne encouped, on each side flanked by a heraldic rose, or. In field vert a bunch of grapes is borne encouped with two leaves, all or. Above the grapes a five-pointed and open verdured crown, or. Below the shield a swallow-tailed tripartite ribbon or with the settlement’s name SZIGETÚJFALU inscribed in it in capital letters sable. Before and after the settlement’s name an ornamental dot sable.

The coat-of-arms of Szigetújfalu has been created using the motives of the old seal of the settlement. Both the shield as well as the bunch of grapes are parts of the traditional seal as well.

The shape of the shield is similar to the shields used in the coats-of-arms of the kings of Árpád’s dynasty. It was the Csepel Island which served as the summer dwelling place for Prince Árpád, and the prince’s herd was also grazing here. The island later bacame a favoured hunting ground for several royalties.

The colour green of the shield is a reference to hope and the love of freedom.

The blue stripe in the shield is a symbol of resistence, trust, and it is also a reference to the Danube river. The river has played a very significant role in the life of the settlement from as early as the Middle Ages. The fish, caught in the river by the local fishermen was the main food for the inhabitants of the village. It was also the Danube on which the local vinyardists transported their wine to Pest, Vienna and other major European cities. Unfortunately, destruction also came from the river in times of war.

The golden heraldic rose, borne in the blue field, in addition to being an ornament, is also a religious emblem. It symbolises Jesus Christ and the Holy Virgin, as the Queen of the Roses. It is a reference to the Bible, since after the assumption, only a rose was found in the Virgin’s grave.

The golden colour symbolises the sun, thus the presence of wit and intelligence as well as of faith and morality.

The Baroque church of the settlement was built in the 1770s by Empress Maria Teresia, who funded the construction works from her own royal income.

The six-pointed star is a well-known emblem from Hungarian iconography and it is a reference to heavenly phenomena. The halo of the Holy Virgin was also made of six-pointed stars. The six-pointed star is a motif commonly used by the Church and it also appears frequently in the coats-of-arms of priests of high rank.

The crown in the green field is an emblem of the settlement’s affiliation with the royal crown. In 1780-1807 Szigetújfalu was the property of Empress Maria Teresia, then it belonged to her daughter, Maria Christina.

The settlement got settled in with German settlers in three waves. The largest number of settlers arrived during the reign of Maria Teresia. The German families came from the Rhein region, as well as from Hessen, Bavaria and Franconia and they also brought their own culture here. Today Szigetújfalu is a settlement with mainly German minority population.

The bunch of grapes in the settlement’s coat-of-arms is a reference to the chief occupation of local inhabitants, that is to viniculture. Its importance is underlined by the historical fact that vintage could only be started with the permission of the village prefect.

Szigetújfalu, Szigetcsép and Szigetszentmárton had a joint council between 1977-1990. In the course of the first free elections in 1990 all these settlements regained their independent status.

It was in 1996 that the body of local representatives of Szigetújfalu issued the local decree on creating and using the settlement’s civic emblems.