National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szigetcsép [¤]
Click to zoom

Szigetcsép

(The County of Pest)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect bordered sable, at fess point party per fess by a bar wavy argent, also bordered sable, symbolising the Danube River. In the upper field vert a leaved bunch of grapes or, in the lower field gules a scaled fish naiant contourné argent.

The triple division of the coat-of-arms symbolises the three nationalities that live in the village. The tinctures are identical with the national colours of Hungary, whereas the charges transmit the ones borne on the earlier village seals.

Copper Age artefacts have been unearthed near the village, while in the vicinity of the Danube dam a cemetery from the early Iron Age has been discovered. The name of the village was first mentioned in the form of Cséptelek in 1283.

By a charter of King László IV, the Chapter of Buda was obliged to give the area, including Bagaméri and Cséptelek, into the possession of Master Moys's widow. In 1290 Queen Fennena had the charter rewritten, and accordingly the villages were transferred from the widow of Moys to the Franciscan nuns of Buda Castle.

Moys, palatine under King Stephen V, was also in King László IV's confidence. His wife was a queen from the Árpád dynasty. This is the reason why Cséptelek was given into the possession of the Beginas of Buda Castle, who owned the settlement until as late as the 15th century.

In the Turkish tax register (defter) of 1562-3 Cséptelek was mentioned as one of the settlements that paid the lowest tax. From 1690 it got depopulated, but in the early 17th century it was occupied by Serbs.

In 1737 the chronicler Mátyás Bél wrote the following: "Csép lies so close to the Danube that during floods it is in utmost danger. The village's small and modest buildings line up along the riverbank."

Since in 1755 the Roman Catholic church already stood in its present location, it seems likely that around that time Catholic Germans might have been the owners of the area where present-day Szigetcsép is situated.

The Serbs however, who founded the medieval village on the very bank of the Danube, were pushed by the permanent floods toward the safer inner parts of Csepel Island. Around the end of the 18th century the Serbs had left their church and former houses behind, and moved to the northern edge of the German-inhabited village.

This is how the present-day village, established at the safe distance of a few kilometres away from the Danube came into existence.The site of the medieval Serbian village today is a centre of sport fishing and an anglers' paradise.