National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szerep
Click to zoom

Szerep

(Hajdú-Bihar County)

The coat of arms: In shield argent on a mount vert mounted on a horse brown courant to the dexter a warrior in boots or, clothes gules and hussar pelisse azure holding an unsheathed scimitar puncturing a Turkish head.

Can be used as appendix of the coat of arms: On the top of the shield a rank indicator crown on open warrior helm out of which a warrior holding a scimitar in his dexter hand and a Turkish head in his sinister hand is issuing.

Short introduction of the settlement:

Szerep is situated in Sárrét, which is a basin-like hollow on the Great Hungarian Plain, between the Ridge of Békés and the shelf of the Nyírség. This small village, which has 1701 inhabitants, lies on the southwestern border of Hajdú-Bihar County, 60 kilometers from Debrecen. Püspökladány is the closest city 15 kilometers north of the village. The village can be approached by train from the direction of Püspökladány and Biharnagybajom (Szeghalom), or by car from the direction of Püspökladány (Hosszúhát) and Sárrétudvari. The Hamvas-canal runs on the western border of the village, to the south we find the Sárréti-canal and the Ó-Berettyó flowing into it. The inner city is 97 hectares, while the outskirts are 5440 hectares. The inhabitants of the city still rely on agriculture as the primary means of making a living. In the 28. Chapter of a chronicle entitled Gesta Hungarorum, written by Anonymus, the notary of King Béla III. in 1203, we can read the story of the Hungarian conquest with reference to this area, which mentions the village and the monastery. The quote in English translation reads as follows: “The victorious Tas and Szabolcs turned to return to their leader Árpád, conquering all from the Somes River to the Körös River, and no one dared to raise their arms against them, even Mén-Marót himself would have rather gone to Greece then turn against them. And starting from there they descended along a river called Hómosóér and went all the way to a village by the name of Szerep, and from thereon to Szeghalom where they wanted to cross the Körös river to fight Mén-Marót. But Mén-Marót…” Szerep was the ancestral estate of the Zovárd kin at the time, who were also the patrons of the monastery. In 1458 the settlement belonged to Békés County and was owned by the Izsaki family of the Zovárd kin from where it was transferred to the Bajomi family. From 1472 it was again considered a part of Bihar County. In 1514 the documents of Benedek Bajomi were lost during the peasant rebellion, and so his status as owner of Szerep was also reinstated by King Lajos II. in 1517. In the 17th century the village belonged to the Bagossy family, in the 18th century to the Bánffy family. In 1750-51 Szerep moved from its old place to its present location. According to Pál Osváth: “the residents of the village moved to the Körtvélyes brook, almost 2/4 miles from the old village, to be able to leave the marsh. The location of the old village – the entrance of which had been washed away sometimes several times a year by the flooding of the Tisza river at the Mirhó dam – is still called Pusztafalu today.” The Csonkatorony (Ruined Tower), a historic monument from the age of the Zovárds of which historians are still unable to tell whether it was a salt-house or a monastery, stands here to this day. After the people of Szerep had built new houses for themselves (from reed and mud, mud-and-daub walled, thatched cottages), they also erected a parsonage and the first church using the same technique. At the time most of the inhabitants were Hungarians and Protestants. In 1767 Maria Teresa bestowed the village on the Kelemen family, who at the same time adopted the forename Szerepi (meaning “of Szerep”). From 1972 we have a manuscript with a map, which shows Szerep and the area around it. It was made by Péter Stedney. This map was prepared at the order of Maria Teresa, for military purposes. Szerepi János Kelemen had already been referred to as royal directorial lawyer by the Presbyterian records of the local Protestant Church in 1834. From 1841 he was private protonotary. He became the Deputy Lord Chief Justice of Hungary in 1847. After his death Count Károly Korniss became the new owner. The Count and his family only spent the summer on the estate; most of the land was rented out to tenants. His mansion, the park surrounding it and his stable were world famous. His father-in-law from Fehérvár was the Minister of Defense, who using his connections managed to arrange that the Püspökladány-Szeghalom railway line be built through Szerep. He failed at the 1881 general elections and lost his property. Most of the men from the village fell victim to World War I. The village was exposed to the war directly just before it ended. In 1922 the government introduced the Land Reform Bill of Nagyatádi to make life easier for villeins, but the nine acres promised, turned out to be three and a half or four acres at most. At the beginning of the 1930s poverty was so bad, that charity food was offered to villagers for famine relief. During World War II. the men were taken to the frontlines. The Jewish population was transported to concentration camps. Foreign soldiers only appeared in the village at the end of the war, in 1944-45. Soviets came on October 8, 1944, during the bombing of Püspökladány, impressing as they went, they mostly needed horses. The village managed to escape becoming battleground. Public administration was taken over by the newly formed National Committee. After the elections of 1945-46 it seemed that the wish of the villagers, the re-allotment of land, was finally coming true. The first agricultural co-operative the Szabadság was established in 1949. Three years later the second co-operative the Alkotmány was formed, which merged with the Szabadság the year it was established, creating a co-operative with 130 members under the name Petőfi. The Kossuth agricultural co-operative was formed in 1952. The establishment of new co-operatives followed. In the 1960s the village’s economy flourished, there were more and more bicycles and radios and the culture centre was equipped with a television, the first one in the settlement. This was due to the regular payments from the co-operative, and to the wages of workers employed in Budapest. The Mid-term Settlement Development Plan of 1970 also had an adverse effect on the village. The reason for this was that its creators were not concerned with helping villages, but stated that such villages had no future whatsoever, and would be abandoned in the long run, so investment in them would be a waste of money. The ÁFÉSZ and the centre of the Co-operative Savings Bank was moved to Biharnagybajom. The Bocskai co-operative, which covered a huge area but was not performing properly, merged with the mobile, promising but small Ladányi Zöld Mező. The council of the village was merged with the council of Sárrétudvari, and the new centre was of course in Sárrétudvari. Two thirds of the council members were from Sárrétudvari, so they always had the last word in everything, including the common budget. So administratively the people of Szerep belonged to Sárrétudvari, and had to travel three kilometers to have anything arranged. A time for a change was signaled, when more and more people began to wonder whether Szerep must indeed be coupled up with Sárrétudvari, and whether it would not be better, if the people of Szerep had their own administrative bodies. In other villages such issues were decided with a referendum, in Szerep the wise and careful had their way. They dissuaded the village from holding a referendum about the separation, so Szerep regained its independence as a village with the local governmental elections in September 1990, about two years later.

Szerep had already had its own nursery school and elementary school in 1800, as the notes of Dániel Kisari show, who was a protestant minister working in the village at the time.

The inhabitants of the village were converted to the Protestant religion after the Mohács Disaster of 1526. In 1621 the Protestant congregation of Szerep belonged under the Seniorate of Debrecen. In 1930 the village had 2156 Protestant, 245 Roman Catholic, 7 Greek Catholic, 19 Orthodox, 9 Lutheran and 37 Jewish inhabitants.

Photos:

1. Welcome Sign

2. Mayor’s Office

3. Elementary school

4. Church

5. Church – organ

6. Church – pulpit

7. ‘Kelemen Rózsakert’ memorial park

8. World War II. Memorial

9. Csonkatorony (Ruined Tower)