National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szentpéterfa
Click to zoom

Szentpéterfa

(The County of Vas)

In a pointed base shield, above a key, a single towered Gothic-style church gules, couped, with five windows and a cross on its dexter shrine.

The village was first mentioned in a document from the so-called Pinka-valley in 1221. Its first inhabitants were supposedly Hungarians. In the Middle Ages it used to be a serf settlement, as part of the estate of Monyorókerék. After the extinction of the Berthold family in 1496, Szentpéterfa became the property of Tamás Bakócz of Erdőd. Meanwhile, as a consequence of a planned marriage, the settlement was the property of the Zrínyi family until 1613. The settling of the Croatians happened at around this time. In 1698 the village was a totally Croatian Catholic settlement. Until the 19th century it was a poor, underdeveloped village and that is the cause – in order of a better living – of the migration of the inhabitants to America in 1890.

The Peace Treaty of Trianon annexed Szentpéterfa to Austria, but on 9th May 1923 – after 15 months and 8 days – as a consequence of a local referendum it became part of Hungary again. The village gained the title of “communitas fidelissima”, “the most loyal village” from the Hungarian Government because of its patriotic attitude.

Szentpéterfa started to develop in the 1920s. Building of a school and a post-office, starting of a bus service, distribution of the fields of the estates after 1945, then founding of agricultural co-operatives in the 1950s, development of the road-network system, as well as building of consulting rooms and bus stops: significant events. From the 1980s the development of the whole infrastructure took place, improvements were carried out in every field and they still continue.

It can be said that Szentpéterfa became an attractive, cultured settlement, proud of its results.