National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szentkozmadombja [¤]
Click to zoom

Szentkozmadombja

(Zala County)

The desription of the settlement’s coat-of-arms is as follows:

Triangular shield erect, party per fess, azure and vert. As central charge the twin brothers of St Kosma and Damján are borne in it. The human figures are facing each other and they are haloed or. In the hand of the saint on the sinister a test tube is borne or, in the hand of the saint on the dexter side a mortar or.

In the base two bends argent.

Outer ornaments of the settlement’s coat-of-arms include a wreath of corn on the dexter side and an oak leaf vert with an acorn or on the sinister side. Underneath a ribbon or is borne encouped with the word Szentkozmadombja inscribed in it.

When designing a settlement’s coat-of-arms it is an extraordinarily significant point to consider whether or not the village had formerly had a coated seal or some other nobiliary emblem with the settlement’s coat-of-arms depicted in them.

As far as the village of Szentkozmadombja is concerned no such depiction has so far been recovered.

When designing new emblems the creation of one of the so-called canting arms is to be considered, an emblem, which refers to those environmental characteristics and historical events which are typical of the given settlement and which are capable of adequately describing the settlement’s characteristics for several centuries.

The first written mention of the village of Szentkozmadombja goes back to 1199. In relation to this date a reference was also made that a church had been erected here to commemorate St. Kosma and Damján, the saints, after whom the settlement was named. The name Damján got later modified and was turned into the word ’dombja’.

The names of the first owners of the village are not known, but as it is attested by some written sources, its 15th century owners were the members of the Bezerédy and of the Bottka families. In the 17th century the settlement got depopulated and it began to be resettled only after 1693. The historical development of the village is by and large identical with that of other settlements with similar characteristic features. Szentkozmadombja was regularly exposed to the capriciousness of its owners. The village in the past had no outstanding agricultural production and it had no other possibilities for growth either.

The name of the settlement provides ideal possibilities for creating one of the so-called canting arms. Certain scenes from the life of the two saints, Kosma and Damján can be depicted as charges in the settlement’s coat-of-arms.

St. Kosma and Damján were twin brothers and by profession they were doctors in the Middle East who treated humans and animals alike without charging any fee to them. They both died a martyr’s death.

St. Kosma and Damján are depicted in one of the enamel pictures of the Hungarian royal crown as holding a urological test tube, an ointment jar and a mortar. In one of the drafts the depiction of a mound can also be seen, a motif, which is firstly a reference to the settlement’s natural environment, and, secondly, it is a reminder of the settlement’s name.

The silver bends in the base usually symbolise natural waters in heraldry. It is a reference to the brook to be found in the vicinity of Szentkozmadombja.

The metals and tinctures of the settlement’s coat-of-arms include azure and vert, which are also nature’s colours.The golden and the silver are also commonly used in heraldry.