National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szentkirályszabadja [¤]
Click to zoom

Szentkirályszabadja

(Veszprém County)

Spade shield erect and gules. In the middle of the shield a patriarchal cross issuing from a five-pointed crown or. The tinctures used in the settlement’s coat-of-arms are in accordance with heraldic rules.

The tinctures can be described as follows:

Or (golden/ Sun): sense, wit, faith, authority, virtue and morality.

Gules (Mars): patriotism, sacrifice, will to act, generosity

Szentkirályszabadja is one of the most ancient settlements in Veszprém County. Originally its name was Szabadi, since their inhabitants had presumably received their free nobiliary status from King St Stephen. The village was later renamed Úrszabadi and Szentkirályszabadi. The first written mention of the privileged settlement goes back to a document of 1269. In a tax registry of 1488 as many as 48 households got mentioned in relation to Szentkirályszabadja. The noblemen of the village were exempted from villein socage, but from the late 16th century onward they had to provide military service for the castle of Veszprém. It was due to this fact that they could preserve their ancient nobiliary privileges and the free exercise of their religion. The majority of local noblemen converted to Calvinism and they established their own congregation. From 1550 onwards for shorter or longer periods the village population was subjugated and paid tax to the Turks. During the period of the Turkish occupation the number of the population considerably decreased. The inhabitants hid and scattered about in the area and they only returned and began to cultivate their lands after the expulsion of the Turks.

The legal status of Szentkirályszabadja, which in the Middle Ages had been considered the most populous nobiliary settlement, consolidated in the first decades of the 18th century. Former landowners were confirmed in their title deeds and nobiliary rights by .Emperor Leopold I . The titles of the new landowners were approved by the monarch in 1718. According to census figures registered during the reign of Empress Maria Teresa there were 1500 inhabitants at Szentkirályszabadja in 1785. The most respected nobiliary family was the Rosos family. In the late 18th and early 19th century members of this family held very important offices in county-level administration.

After 1848 due to the loss of nobiliary privileges the progress of the settlement came to a halt. Today the village of Szentkirályszabadja is an independent administrative area and the number of its inhabitants is 1801.

Szentkirályszabadja is the village, where the famous Hungarian poet, Miklós Radnóti, the inmate of a forced labour camp, wrote his last poem before setting off his last journey. The house, where he had spent his last days, was converted into a Radnóti Memorial House. This is how the local inhabitants paid tribute to the memory of the great Hungarian poet of tragic fate.

Szentkirályszabadja is located at a distance of 5 kilometres both from Lake Balaton and the county seat, Veszprém. Tourism is very important here during the summer months. Several local families offer bed and breakfast accomodation for visitors, and, in addition, numerous inns and retaurants offer catering services. The most outstanding local sights include the Calvinist church, the Radnóti Memorial House and the building of the Romanesque-style Catholic church, which was erected on Árpád-age foundations.