National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szentgyörgyvár [¤]
Click to zoom

Szentgyörgyvár

(Zala County)

Shield erect and party per fess, its base is rounded. In the first section of the chief, gules, a vinestock or is borne encouped. In the second section azure a castle argent and towered is standing on a green mound. In the third section gules a tree or and leaved is borne encouped.

In base azure the knightly figure of St, George is borne, mounted and vambraced argent. He is running his spear through the dragon’s body or lying on the ground. Spear head is decorated with a banner argent adorned with a cross gules.

Below the shield on a ribbon or and borne encouped , the settlement’s name SZENTGYÖRGYVÁR is inscribed.

Szentgyörgyvár is located in the eastern part of Zala County, at the western edge of the Zalahát region, onlooking the valley of the Zala river. It lies at a distance of 12 kilometres from Keszthely and six kilometres from Hévíz. Trunk road No. 76 is running through the settlement and a minor paved road branches off from it at Alsópáhok.. From Keszthely the village is easily accessible by bus.

The history of the settlement can be described as follows:

The name of the settlement is said to have taken its origin from the village castle bearing the same name. The castle got first mentioned in a written document in 1461 as Zenthgewara al Bekawar, so it was called Békavár in that period. A more likely explanation is that the name Szentgyörgyvár originates in the church of the settlement, since it was consecrated to honour the Knight St. George. A written document of 1333 is likely to have mentioned this church.

The castle also served as the centre of the estate, and it was owned by the members of the Marczali family until as late as the middle of the 15th century, the period, when the family died out. Then the members of the Báthori family inherited the village and the fields belonging to it and in 1479 King Mathias bestowed the entire property including the castle on them. The Nádasdys got hold of the Szentgyörgyvár property through marriage, then in 1676 it was purchased by archbishop György Széchenyi. The estate as well as the castle remained in the possession of the Széchenyi family until as late as the period of the emancipation of the serfs. Sevseral villages belonged to the castle in 1677 including Zalaszentlászló, Bötefalva, Senye, Égenfölde, Hídvég, Mánd, later Mogyoród and Kolon.

The most significant era in the history of the castle was the period of border castle fights against the Turks. Since Szentgyörgyvár was surrounded by the swampy areas of the flood zone of the Zala river, the Turks were never able to get hold of it. In the middle of the 16th century Balázs Sulyok was the castellan at Szentgyörgyvár and the number of castle soldiers was about 50. Szentgyörgyvár never had a great strategic importance since there were other, larger and stronger castles in the vicinity including the castles of Keszthely and Zalavár. The castellan and the guards stayed within the palisaded inner castle and the inhabitants of the village lived outside it. The dwelling part was also surrounded by an external palisade. The Turks sieged the castle on several occasions and in 1620 they killed most of Szentgyörgyvár’s inhabitants. By the end of the century, when the Turks did not endanger the area any longer, the protective function of the castle ceased to exist. The inner castle remained uninhabited by the early 18th century and the written documents of the late 18th century do not even mention Szentgyörgyvár.

In the Turkish era the settlement near the castle suffered a lot from the consequences of the Turkish war. The inhabitants’ homes were repeatedly burnt down, first in 1574. After the expulsion of the Turks the inhabitants of Szentgyörgyvár were granted free status and in 1627 the settlement was raised to the rank of market town (oppidum).

The local people were poor, they did not possess their own lands.In 1725 its church was also described as a building in a very poor condition. It had only walls, but its roof had already been demolished.

Although the inhabitants were free to move, but they were not exempt from the feudal burdens. In 1796 the inhabitants of the town owed 2-3 days per week of villein services to their landlord. Practically there was no difference whatsoever between the low status of free farmers and that of the villeins. By the end of the century the settlement lost its rank of market town and later on it was only referred to in contemporary written documents as ’village’.

The landowner of the area was Count Zsigmond Széchenyi.

In the period of the Revolution and the War of Independence of 1848/49 two men served from Szentgyörgyvár in the Hungarian National Army. On September 15, 1848 Hungarian National Guards arrived and camped at Szentgyörgyvár.

The most important architectural monument of the village is its 18th century Baroque church, the one which had been consecrated to honour St. George. The settlement is likely to have had a church by the same name as early as 1333. The building of the one-time Zoltay mansion was built in early Baroque style and the servants’ quarters were added to it in 18th century Baroque style. The Classicist tomb of the Nemestóthy Szabó family can be found in the vicinity of Szentgyörgyvár at Felsőmándpuszta.