National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Szellő [¤]
Click to zoom

Szellő

(Baranya County)

The settlement’s coat of arms is a triangular shield erect. In fess, partially covering the area from central base to central chief a ploughshare argent is borne, with its edge turning toward the dexter. In dexter chief a circular motif or. Its diametre is identical with the head of the ploughshare borne in the fess.

Ploughshare is drawn with a dynamically curving line, issuing from the sinister base, then narrowing toward centre base and eventually running toward the pointed section of the ploughshare motif.

On the sinister side of the shield an ear of corn or is issuing from the centre of the base and it is bending slightly toward the sinister. Its sinister leaf is bending backward toward the rear part of the base. The leaves as well as the ear of corn are all stylised depictions.

Shield party per fess. Line of partitioning is issuing from dexter base and it is running toward sinister fess. Base vert, chief azure.

Above the shield a plain heraldic crown is borne. Mantling is a stylised depiction of floral motives. Below the shield a curly ribbon with the settlement’s name SZELLŐ inscribed in it in decorative HU Callighraph-type letters.

A Brief History of the Village of Szellő

The name of the village of Szellő got first mentioned in a tithe-related legal case of the Chapter of Esztergom. The settlement itself is situated in a wind-swept area of the Karasica Valley, a location which gave the village its name. The village of Szellő is likely to have been given its name in the Árpád Age of Hungarian history, but this hypothesis has not been proven by historical documents. The first inhabitants originally settled down in the plain area on the banks of the brook, and this is why the place bears the name ’shelter’ today. Owing to frequently occurring floods the first settlers later moved to the higher, hilly areas nearby. As it is attested by archeological excavations the present-day belfry of the village was built on the site of an old church in the village centre. According to archeologists excavations could prove that an early Christian church used to stand in the centre of the village. The remains of the church walls were unearthed when the contemporary belfry was renovated. Northeast of this place Avar-age graves have been found. After 1015, when the Benedictine monastery of Pécsvárad was founded the village of Szellő also flourished both economically and culturally. Viniculture, the most significant occupation of the area developed and spread and the first mills were also built on the river in this period.

In the 18th century German settlers arrived and their agricultural skills represented a higher level than those of the former inhabitants. Due to these favourable conditions the village of Szellő underwent a significant and progressive period of its history. Nearby rivers and brooks fed as many as three water mills in the area. The acacia groves were cut down and thus the area of ploughlands and vineyards grew. This fact gave the name ’Erdőszőlő’ to the settlement.

From the early 20th century onward the differences between the local inhabitants were very obvious. The German inhabitants were much wealthier than the Hungarians. Village houses and agricultural buildings were erected, which were also very different from the Hungarian buildings. This was the period when the village of Szellő was considered to be the wealthiest settlement in the region.

After 1939 the majority of local German families joined the Volksbund. A German bank also opened for them in nearby Pécsvárad and the German people were given extra credits and other forms of support.

The political changes of the postwar period halted the period of progress. Humiliating terror awaited the local German families, many of which left the country in this period.

Since local men fought in the war 14 women were exiled to Soviet forced labour camps, called ’Gulág’. Then new settlers came from Upper Hungary to replace the Germans and local economy also changed with them. Agriculture was reorganised and thus new living and working conditions were created for the local people.

After the revolution of 1956 the situation slowly got consolidated at Szellő, too, and the local agricultural cooperative as well as the small individual household farms all contributed to the rising living standard of the inhabitants of the settlement.

A memorial bell was erected in the village to commemorate those inhabitants who had died or who had been exiled from Szellő. The bell was cast by Miklós Gombos, who had become famous for creating the bells of the Hungarian exhibition of the World Expo in Seville.