National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Székely [¤]
Click to zoom

Székely

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

Shield erect and azure, its base is rounded. On field vert a drawn bow argent is borne with an arrow or. In dexter chief a human-faced sun rayonnant or, in sinister chief a human-faced moon crescent is borne encouped and argent.

Shield is topped by a helm argent, lined gules and adorned or, gules and azure. Helm is crested by a fleur-de-lis, or.

Mantling on both sides azure and or.

Below the shield a tripartite arched ribbon or is borne with the settlement’s name SZÉKELY inscribed in it in letters sable.

Székely’s coat-of-arms is one of the canting arms, that is it is the visual depiction of the settlement’s history. The village was named after the ethnic group of Székelys who had been settled here in order to guard the country’s borders and protect its people with their bows and arrows. The drawn bow and the arrow in the settlement’s coat-of-arms are references to this historical event. The sun and the moon are also emblems commonly used by the Székelys.

The tinctures and metals in Székely’s coat-of-arms have all been used in accordance with heraldic rules. As it is the case in all cultures, heraldry also relates the tinctures to the cosmic world. According to this idea the symbolic meaning of the individual colours can be described as follows:

Metals:

Or (gold)/Sun: sense, wit, authority, faith, chastity and morality.

Argent (silver)/Moon: wisdom, purity, innocence, prudence

Tinctures:

Gules/Mars: patriotism, self-sacrifice, willingness to act and generosity.

Vert / Venus: freedom, love, beauty, eternity and health,

Azure/Jupiter: strictness, perseverance, resistance and trust.

The woods which surround the village of Székely mostly consist of acacia and poplar trees. Regional flora is the typical one , there are flowering meadows with wild angelicas and other species of féowers. Local soil includes humic sand, brown forest soil, swampy meadow soil and chernozem.

Székely is very likely to be one of the county’s most ancient settlements. Its name has preserved the memory of border guarding Székelys and it goes back to as early as the 11th century. The inhabitants of the village believe that the settlements’s history goes back to the period of the Hungarian Conquest and it was the border guarding Székelys who originally founded the settlement and they began to call it Székely. The village is a very old one indeed and its name got mentioned in various documents from the late 13th century onward. Although, it can be supposed that the settlement had been founded earlier than the 13th century, since the local Székelys were transferred Transylvania as early as the end of the 11thcentury.

Thwe first inhabitants at Székely were serfs and they were called Miles. Their presence here can be explained by the fact that the border zone called gyepü stretched near the settlement. The areas south of the border zone belonged to the members of inividual clans.

The first data relating to the history of the settlement go back to 1284 and the settlement was then was called ’villa Sekul’.In 1316 the village was bestowed as royal possession on the sons of Lökös Bánki, who were the members of the Hont-Pázmány clan. Owing to their relatedness to the Semjéni family through marriages from the early 14th century onward the members of this family were the actual owners of the village. In 1423 the part belonging to the Bánki family was obtained by István Nagyselymési . The members of the Kállay family were confirmed in their ownership by a royal gift of deed of 1427 by King Sigismund. In the 14th century the owners of the settlement included the members of Lővey, Bancsal, and Zoltán family of Csepe. In 1588 a total of 21 serfs lived and worked at Székely. In 1670 the settlement was owned by Benedek Serédy. The population figures in this period were continuously going down and local landowners also left the village. In 1772 the village was owned by Pál Zoltán and the number of local inhabitants was 366. The descendants of this family owned fields in and around the village until as late as the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.