National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szederkény
Click to zoom

Szederkény

(The County of Baranya)

The armas of the village is a fixed disc escutcheon with a snout. It's basic colour is blue. On the bottom and at the middle of the escutcheon are two green arched stains. The stain on the right side is lower to found.

In front of the green arch on the left side stands a silver cross, its pillar reaches to the bottom of the escutcheon. In front of the cross is a blue horizontal wavy line.

On the right side of the arms is a golden stylized wine-branch to sec. On this winebranch hangs a bunch of golden grapes, over that is a wine-shoot in the same colour, that reaches into the middle of the escutcheon. There is also a golden wine-leaf to see. On the left side of the escutcheon is an illustration that symbolizes higher hills. On these hills is a silver rearing horse to see.

The helm-cover is blue-green, it's located over the escutcheon in the middle, it has three separate golden segments.

The balloon under the arms-escutcheon is silver, it's concave arched, the device of this balloon is Szederkény, with black standing characters written.

Short summary of the characteristics of the settlement.

The origin of the name of the settlement comes from the plant name blackberry, it's an affix version of it.

By the description of the settlement, which has a long history, we have to mention the Transdanubian line decorated modern times culture, the Baden-culture of the copper age, the folk of the Somogyvár-Vinkovci culture of the brazen age and the Roman remains. These cultures could have developed here because the nature benefits of the settlement were very good.

The settlement was called in 1792 Zderkyn and Namya. These two habitant became united in 1948 called Szederkény. The originally by hungarians inhabited land became at the end of the Turkish occupation depopulated. By the year of 1720 started the settling of germans from the area of Fulda in province Hessen. There was another significant change in the composition of the population of the village after the second world war: a considerable part of the regional germans were deported from here. Their properties were given to native settlers and immigrated hungarians from Upper Hungary.

Beside of the expanded and intensive agricultural production was the well developed craftsmanship in Szederkény just like in Nyomja very important.

Because of its location the settlement has had a small area function for a long time: it's East-West opened (Mohács-Pécs) and has roads in directions North (Pécsvárad) and South (Bóly), which have been determinant up to nowadays.

The important historical and economical changes of 1989 had influenced the development of our village too. The farmers agricultural co-operative was wind up at that time, the fields were given to private ownership. With this change decreased the employment rate with 80%.

In these days the unemployment rate is about 5%, there are 9 big employers and 95 private undertakings.

Szederkény takes up place along the arterial road 57 between Pécs and Mohács at the half way. The population is 1872, there are 555 houses. The degree of conducted drinking water supply is 92% and of natural gas is 81%. Almost all of the houses have telecommunication service. The net of roads and electricity is completely developed in the whole village.

The village has a Kindergarten, a primary school, a community centre and a public library. About healthcare: Szederkény has a physician for children and a physician for adults, a dentist, a veterinarian, a club of elderly people and an old age home.