National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Százhalombatta [¤]
Click to zoom

Százhalombatta

(The County of Pest)

Százhalombatta is situated in the county of Pest, on the right bank of the river Danube, in an area that has been inhabited since ancient times. Across the top of the shield on a scroll or brisé fourfold and dovetailed at both ends a motto reading "Százhalombatta" in block capitals.

"The coat-of-arms of the town of Százhalombatta is a shield erect, quarterly of azure and or.

Upper dexter field (first) barry of six; the first, third and fifth bars gules, the second, fourth and sixth bars or. The colour red symbolises fire, thus referring to the town's oil industry and its role as a base of Hungary's energetics.

In upper sinister field (second) the stylised representation of the "Mounds" that gave the town its name are borne, all vert. The mounts are surmounted by the sun on the dexter and by the moon on the sinister, both borne against the sky azure. The planets over the tumuli symbolise day and night, constant change and eternal revolution.

In lower dexter field (third) azure a ploughshare and a coulter, both argent; these charges are to be found in the settlement's first seal.

Lower sinister field (fourth) barry of seven; the first, third, fifth and seventh bars azure, the second, fourth and sixth bars or. The colour blue symbolises the River Danube, which is one of the borders of the town, and the stream of Benta flowing across the settlement." (According to the decree of 27/1991 <18 December>)

In heraldry or (gold) and gules (red) are equally distinguished tinctures, signifying the settlement's past and present importance. It used to be a king's (and queen's) possession, symbolised by the red bands taken over from the coat-of-arms of the Árpáds, whereas today it is an important base of Hungary's energetics, which is expressed by the golden bands.

In the second field the stylised mounds arranged in four rows evoke four phases from the settlement's ancient and heroic past. Next to the Iron Age tumuli the Romans established a military camp, and it was at the foot of these mounds that, according to our chroniclers, the Huns fought their bloody battles; it was also the same place where, during the Magyar conquest of Hungary, a "princely personality" found dwelling, and the Magyar warriors ready to conquer Transdanubia set up their camp. The reputation of the town is further enhanced by its rich archaeological findings, and by a well-known workshop of practical archaeology.

The first part of the settlement's name, Százhalom, already appears in the mediaeval chronicles in the form of Zazholm, and in the gestas (a more comprehensive form of history writing) in the form of Centum Montes. It cannot be excluded, either, that the second part of the name recalls the memory of a stone statue or a sacrificial statue which, according to chroniclers, used to stand here, for the word batu in old Turkish meant 'gem or precious stone', and in connection with the previously described statue Andreas Hungarus in 1308 wrote the following: "The conquerors erected an enormous marble stone, on which their victory is recorded, and which is still there up to the present day."

The joint representation of the Sun and the Moon is a typical feature of ancient Magyar mythology (cf. the tree reaching to the sky, the stallion gorged with the Sun and the Moon, etc.), but at the same time it symbolises constant change, as well as eternal renewal and revolution.

The ploughshare and the coulter were taken over from the settlement's first seal. In addition, they symbolise the one-time importance of agriculture. In the Turkish times (1546), for example, 70 per cent of the tax paid by Százhalom was corn, while Baté paid one third in corn and nearly one third in must. Later fruit growing became more significant, and market gardens also appeared.

The area of Százhalombatta is extremely rich in archeological and historical relics: the Bronze and Iron Age cultures were followed by the Romans, who set up a military camp by the name of Matrica, while in the age of the great migration Huns, Ostrogoths, Longobards, Avars and Magyars appeared here by turn. In the Middle Ages the villages of Százhalom, Alsóbáté and Felsőbáté were to be found at this place, but at the end of the 16th century they got depopulated.

In the last years of the 18th century Serbs were settled in the area who, together with the Hungarians, revived the village of Százhalom. The Serbs still preserve their language and culture. The settlement got its present name of Százhalombatta in 1903. Its mediaeval (12th century) Christian church got destroyed, but later the Serbs (in 1750) and the Catholics (in 1910) had their own churches built. These are still landmarks of the present-day Old Town.

After the centuries-long dominance of agriculture and fishing, from the 1960s onwards the area has been characterised by chemical industry and energetics. In 1970, the settlement was raised to the rank of town.

In the period of self-government starting in 1990 the town has given evidence of a dynamic development. It has preserved its vitality, but it also respects its past.

E-mail: polghiv@mail.battanet.hu