National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Szarvas [* ¤]
Click to zoom


(The County of Békés)

Plate shield erect azure, pierced flanche-wise, top, dexter and sinister chief curved to a point, base fish-tailed. On a field vert a hart or courant, attired. Between the attires a three-pointed open crown or, at a slant to the sinister, gorged with fleur-de-lis, rubies and sapphires. Shield is bordered by a Baroque cartouche or with stylised floral ornaments.

The coat-of-arms was created on the occasion of raising Szarvas to the rank of town in 1848 by the ministry. The town then became a municipality in 1872. During the period of the Hungarian Soviet Republic in 1919 it got the rank of town back, then its status was reduced again to that of a municipality. In more recent times it became a town again in 1966.

The charges of the coat-of-arms of Szarvas were included in the first two seals of the settlement dating back to 1723, as well as in the later versions. A hart was borne in these, leaping to the dexter, with a nobiliary coronet between its antlers.

This latter motif is likely to have originated from the coat-of-arms of the baronial family of János György Harruckern, which might lead to the conclusion that the crown is the symbol of the landlord who organised the re-settlement of Szarvas in 1722.

The first coat-of-arms of Szarvas as a town was created in 1850. It was bordered by a golden cartouche, the shield was blue and the field green. Like the former seals it had a charge of a hart borne crowned. The same motif was emblazoned for several decades on the town's seals, its maps, and publications on local history.


- The centre of Larger/Historical Hungary

- Hotel Árpád in Main square

- Bolza mansion

- School building with Ceres fountain in Main square

- The bank of the Körös river

- Millenial Monument by the Körös river

- Mitrovszky mansion

- Dry mill