National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Szárász [¤]
Click to zoom

Szárász

(Baranya County)

The coat of arms of the village of Szárász features motives, which can also be seen on the belts of the traditional folk costumes of the Csángós, the Hungarian-speaking population of Moldavia. On base vert (green) leather and zinc ornaments are placed. The famous ethnographer, Balázs Orbán also described this kind of special ornaments in his books.

The other charges of the settlement’s coat of arms are related to the inhabitants’ chief occupation, that is agriculture. The traditional seal of Szárász, in which a ploughshare was borne, also served as basis for the creation of the village’s contemporary coat of arms.

Szárász is located in the northern part of the Mecsek region, and it can be found in the vicinity of Tolna County. It is a tiny settlement and together with the villages of Tófű and Hehgyhátmaróc it is also the part of the notarial district of Egyházaskozár. Nearby settlements include Szászvár in the south and Mágocs in the west. Szárász is a cul-de-sac settlement, it is accessible via Egyházaskozár. The village of Lengyel of Tolna County, which lies at a distance of two kilometres from Szárász is accessible only via a dirt road. Bus service is rare, three services per day are only available for the inhabitants. The climate is of Mediterranean features and it is characterised by an abundance of rain in winter as well as warm summers.

Szárász is an Árpád-age settlement as it is attested by the graves unearthed in the outer fields of the village in 1996. The oldest relics from the village’s past have unfortunately been lost or forgotten. The first written mention of the settlement’s name in the form Zaraz goes back to 1382. The Hungarian population disappeared in the period of the Turkish Conquest. In the last years of that period Serbs settled down at Szárász, then, by the end of the 17th century the village got depopulated. The first German family settled down at Szárász in the late 18th century and they were followed by many of them. Szárász had only German speaking inhabitants in the 19th century. The number of inhabitants is 77 today and only one person speaks German.

The inhabitants of Szárász formerly lived from animal husbandry since the settlement was surrounded by large pastures and meadows. Farmers built cowsheds in the outer fields of the village. In the early 20th century some American farmers settled down at Szárász and they built American-style farmhouses in the village, but unfortunately none of these survived the two world wars.

As far as local economy is concerned animal husbandry has always played a significant role in village life at Szárász.

The Cultural Centre of the village plays a role in the settlement’s life; it is the place where various cultural events and folk programmes are organised. Folk ensembles from the neighbouring villages often participate in these events. The mayor of Szárász manages the local folk dance ensemble.

The majority of the village’s inhabitants is Catholic and the religious services are held in the 19th century building of the Catholic church, which was erected in the village centre.

The famous ethnographer, Péter Pál Domokos, who devoted his life to studying the Csángós, lived at Szárász from 1946 to 1949, after he had been banned from Budapest. In 1949 he had been banned from Szárász as well. In July 1996 a memorial plaque was inaugurated in the village so as to commemorate him.