National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szár [¤]
Click to zoom

Szár

(County Fejér)

The coat-of-arms is a shield party per fess, with a pointed base. In the upper field azure, issuing from a five-pointed crown verdured or a brown demi-griffin, holding in the outstretched sinister hand three flowers gules, in the right hand a scimitar argent raised in attack. This symbol refers to the Esterházy family, who had the village resettled, and by whose loyal estate policy ethnic German settlers arrived at the village of Szár.

The lower field is barry of seven gules and argent, representing the ancient colours of the Árpád dynasty. The denominator of the village is László Szár, grandson of Prince Árpád, and the father of King Andrew I and King Béla I of the Árpád dynasty.

Thus the village's chief symbols were provided by the first (Magyar) settlement in the Árpádian age, and the second (German) settlement in the 18th century.

Geographical location: the settlement lies at the foot of the Vértes hill, on the northern border of the county Fejér, by the Budapest-Hegyeshalom railway line. It has a railway station of its own.

In 1326 the village was mentioned by the name Zaar, then in 1339 as Star (Scár). The original landowners had been the Csák family, but in 1323 it became a crown possession. The historical source mentions it with relation to Sávoly, a neighbouring settlement.

The name Szár goes back to László Szár, a cousin of King St Stephen. As an ancient Magyar settlement, it had belonged to the dwelling place of Megyer, one of the seven conquering Magyar tribes.

The first documented appearance of the name Szár dates back to 1337, followed by frequent occurrences, e.g. in 1347, 1357, 1453 and 1493. Landowners included the Tisza, Becsey, Bessenyei and Pomázi families. During the Turkish rule it became a puszta (depopulated area), but later it was attached to Tata by the Esterházy family. It was the Esterházys who paid the arms tax and who began to have the village resettled between 1729-37. The new settlers were Germans brought here from Vörösvár by the commissioners of the landlord. Until 1743, fifty-two ethnic German families from Vörösvár had arrived at Szár. The list of their names is still to be found at the Roman Catholic parish. In order to make a living, they gained arable land by deforestation.

In 1759 the number of inhabitants was 886, who dwelt in 167 houses.

The village fields included 1,250 acres of ploughland, 681 acres of pasture, 337 acres of orchard and vegetable garden, 198 acres of meadowland and 25 acres of vineyard.

In 1930 the village was dwelt by 1,728 people, including 1,070 ethnic Germans and 658 Hungarians. The total area of forests within the area of the village was 3,112 acres, of which 2,200 acres were owned by Erdőértékesítő Rt (Ltd.). In the early 20th century some labourers were unable to make a living out of family-run farms, thus they sought job opportunities in the capital, in the mines of Tata and on the nearby estates. Labourers from Szár used to work in the capital's salami factory, for the railway company, in forestry, on the Wekerle estate at Szálláskút, as well as on the agricultural farm of Nagynémetegyháza belonging to Bicske. During the second world war about 270 men from Szár served in the army, most of them in the Hungarian regular forces, but in 1944 many of the ethnic Germans were to join the German Wehrmacht or the SS troops. According to local data, many lost their lives, since about 60 per cent never returned after 1945.

In the middle of December 1944, a Hungarian military unit took a firing position in the Vértes in order to resist the advancing Soviet troops. Still, on Christmas Eve a cavalry unit managed to occupy Szár from the direction of Vértesboglár. The unit was soon to reach Tata. Following this, Soviet advancement was halted in the Vértes, and Szár had to live under war conditions for three months. The population was evacuated to the villages of Bodmér, Vértesboglár, Vál, Tabajd, Alcsút and Vértesdoboz.

The inhabitants lost all their property. The houses, farm buildings and livestock fell prey to the military. According to eyewitness reports, all the food available was eaten up by the German and the Russian soldiers alike, who were billeted in the houses. The locals returned at the end of March/beginning of April 1945, only to find their homes looted. There was less livestock to be found in the whole village than had been owned by one single farmer before 1944. As a sign of revival, teaching in the local elementary school started on 9 April.

As early as in April 1945, local people were informed that whoever had declared themselves German in 1941 would have to emigrate to Germany. The news literally paralysed the village, the process of rebuilding halted, and people would speak about the hopelessness of their future. To ease the tension, the authorities spread the news that there would be no forced resettlement from Szár, since part of the population had been miners. All this was only to conceal the official preparations for the resettlement, such as the conscription of property and the acquisition of documents. In April 1946 it was at Szár in the whole county of Fejér that the first wave of resettlement took place, preceded by the confiscation of 76 family-owned farms. 162 families from Szár were resettled in the region of Dingolfing, Germany. They were replaced by Hungarian settlers from Átány (county Heves), Iszkaszentgyörgy (county Fejér) and four other villages in Upper Hungary. In modern times this was the second resettlement at Szár, but now the ethnic composition of the village changed, with the Hungarians becoming the majority. Later the resettling of ethnic Germans continued; in 1948, thirty families were transferred to Vérteskozma, from where sixteen families arrived at Szár.

The 270th anniversary of the first resettlement of Szár will be celebrated on 20 August, 2000.

The village's historical monuments include the Roman Catholic church, the parish, the Csomó House and the Calvary.

Prominent local feasts are the last Sunday of June (St John's Day) and 20 August (Village Day).

Das Wappen von Szár

(Komitat Fejér)

Das Wappen ist ein dreieckiges Schield, im wessen oberen, blauen Feld eine fünfzinkige goldene Krone ist, aus der wächst ein brauner Greif aus. In seiner linken, vorgreifendend Had hält er drei roten Blumen, in seiner rechten, zur Angriff erhobenen Hand Läßt er einen silbernenen Säbel blinken. Dieses Symbol weist auf die Familie Eszterházy hin, durch deren Hofstreues Politik kam die deutsche Nationalität in die Gemeinde Szár.

Das untere Feld ist siebenmal geschnitten, das wiederholt die uralten Farben der Árpádenhauses. Der Namengeber von Szár ist der Enkelsohn von Fürst Árpád, László Szár, der der Vater von I. András und Béla gewesen ist.

Die Hauptsymbole der Gemeinde werden von árpádenzeiter (ungarische) Ansiedlung und die deutsche Einsiedlung in der 18. Jahrhundert gegeben.

Die geographische Lage der Gemeinde: bei der nördlichen Grenze von Komitat Fejér, bei der Gebirge Vértes, an der Budapest-Hegyeshalom Eisenbahnlinie. Szár hat eine Eisenbahnstation.

Im Jahre 1326 war Szár als Zaar, und im Jahre 1339 als Star gekannt. Bis 1323 war ein Besitz der Familie Csák, dann bekam der König die Gelände. In der Quelle wurde geschriben, daß in der Nachbarschaft Sávoly ist.

Der Name von Szár stammt von dem Cousin von I. István, László Szár. Szár ist eine uralte Gemeinde, von den 7 Stämmem war sie Gelände der Stamm Megyer.

In schriftlichen Quellen erschien Szár erstmal im Jahre 1337. Dann erscheint sie oft: z.B.: 1347, 1357, 1453, 1493. Die Besitzer Waren: Familien Tisza, Becsey, Bessenyei, Pomázi. In der Türkenherrschaft war Szár eine Einöde, aber die Famile Eszterházy schloss Szár zu Tata an. Die Famile Eszterházy bezahlte die Waffensteuer, sie haben mit der Neueinsiedlung angefangen. Das passierte zwischen 1729 und 1737. Die Einsiedlern waren Deutschen, die durch die Beauftragten des Gutsherren von Vörösvár gebracht wurden. Die Einwohnern schafften Felder durch Entwaldung. Bis 1743 kamen 52 Familien von Vörösvár nach Szár. Im Jahre 1759 lebten 886 Leute in 167 Häuser. Die Liste der Namen ist in der Pfarre zu sehen.

In der Umgebung gab es 1250 Joch Acker, 681 Joch Weide, 337 Joch Obstgartan, 198 Joch Wiese und 25 Joch Weinbau.

Im Jahre 1930 wohnten 1728 Leute, 1070 Deutschen, und 658 Ungaren. Der Grundbesitzer war die Waldverwerter Aktiengesellschaft mit 2200 Joch Feld. In der Umgebung der Gemeinde gab es 3112 Joch Wald. In der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts konnte sich ein Teil der Arbeitrn mit Familienwirtschaft nicht ernähren. Arbeitsplätze konnten sie in der Hauptstadt, in der Tataer Bergwerken, und bei dem Großgrundbesitzer in der nähe haben. Die Szárer arbeiteten in der Salamifabrik in der Haupstadt, bei der Eisenbahn, bei Holzungen, in der Wekerlegelände in Szálláskút und in der Wirtschaft von Nagynémetháza. Am Anfang des ersten Weltkriges hatten 270 Leute militärische Dienste. Am meisten waren sie in dem ungarischen Wehr, aber im Jahre 1944 gelangen mehrere Leute von den Schwäbischen in die Wehrmacht und in die SS. Nach gemeindlichen Informationen kam nach 1945 weniger, als die 40 % der Soldaaten zurück. In der Mitte von Dezember 1944 schaffte eine ungarische Einheit eine Artilleriestützpunkt gegen die Sowjets. Am 24. Dezember zog eine Kavallerieeinheit in Szár ein. Diese Einheit drang bis Tata vor. Danach ist die Front in den Vértes-Gebirge in Stand gekommen. Während Szár 3 Monate lang in Kriegszone war, wurden die Einwohner in Gemeinden: Bodmér, Vértesboglár, Vál, Tabajd, Alcsút, Vértesdoboz ausgetrieben.

Die Einwohner haben ihren Vermögen verloren: Die Häuser, die Wirtschaftsgebäuden, die Tiere wurden Opfern der Soldaten. Nach Erzählungen von Augenzeugen benutzten sowohl die Deutschen, als auch die Sowjets die Güter der Einwohner. Die Einwohner kamen in März und April 1945 zurück. Sie fanden ihren Häuser ausgeplündert. In der ganzen Gemeinde gab es weniger Tiere, als in 1944 eine Familie gehalten hat. Am 9. April begann der Unterricht in der Grundschule.

Noch in April 1945 wurde den Einwohnern mitgeteilt, daß die sich im Jahre 1941 als Deutschen bekannten, werden nach Deutschland ausgesiedelt. Die Nachricht lähmte die ganze Gemeinde.

Der Neuaufbau wurde unterbrochen. Die Einwohner wurden erbittert. Die Spannung zu lösen, verbreiteten die Behörden, daß von Szár keiner ausgesidelt wird, weil ein Teil der Einwohner Bergbauer war. Das verheimlichte die behördichen Vorbereitungen (Güteraufzeichnung, Anschaffung der Papiere). In April 1946 begann in Komitat Fejér unter den ersten die Aussiedlung. Vorher wurden 76 Familienwirtschaften beschlagnahmt. 162 Familien kamen in die Nähe von Dingolfing. Anstatt sie kamen ungarische Einsiedler aus Gemeinden Átány, Iszkaszentgyörgy und aus 4 Gemeinden aus Felvidék. Das war die zweite Einsiedlung in der Neuzeit, aber die etnische Aufbau der Gemeinde wurde verändert. Später gab es noch eine Aussiedlung: 30 Familien wurden nach Vérteskozma ausgesiedelt, und von Vérteskozma kamen 16 Familien nach Szár.

Am 20 August 2000 feiern wir die 270. Jahreswende des Neuaufbaues.

Kunstdenkmäler: Die römisch katholische Kirche, die Parochie und der Kreuzweg.

Bedeutende Feiern: der Kirchtag (letzte Sonntag von Juni); 20. August: der Selbstverwaltungstag.