National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Szany [¤]
Click to zoom

Szany

(County Győr-Moson-Sopron)

The coat-of-arms of the municipality of Szany is a shield erect party per fess, the top convex, the sides pierced flanchewise, the base curved to a point.

The upper field bears: azure, erect on the fess line a triple-towered church argent; the higher central tower is borne with a round-arched open gate sable with a tympanum and two open windows and a clock above; the two lower side towers bear two open windows each, the connecting wings one window each. All the towers are topped with an onion dome gules, each surmounted by a cross sable.

The lower field bears: vert, in the upper part a bar wavy argent symbolising the River Rába, beneath it a ploughshare in pale argent bladed to the sinister, flanked on the dexter side by a rose leaning outward, stalked sable with five blooms gules, on the sinister side by a field flower leaning outward, stalked sable and petalled eight gules.

History

The first written mention of the village by the name Zyajan goes back to 1398, but the mace, the remains of Roman-age buildings and burial places unearthed in 1883, as well as the foundations of an Árpádian church discovered in the outer fields of the settlement in 1902 all prove that the place has been inhabited from ancient times.

The survival and development of Szany were made possible by the fact that in the 15th century it became the centre of the Kesze land property of the bishopric of Győr, and that it managed to hold this position with minor interruptions for several centuries.

In the 11th century Szany as a market town was the most populous settlement of the Rábaköz region. On several occasions, it got almost entirely depopulated due to wars, fires, epidemics and the floods of the Rába. (In 1604, for example, ten years after the Turkish occupation had started in 1594, only one single house that was dwelt was recorded in the market town of Szany, which earlier had been inhabited by 120 families.) Despite these disasters, Szany was to revive again and again. In 1644 the settlement had to accommodate warriors from the comitat in order that the Rábaköz region be defended.

Although Szany, whose economy was dominated by agriculture, had only a few craftsmen among its dwellers, the local Weavers' Guild got its first charter of privileges as early as 1712. It was in 1740 that the bishopric gave new impetus to manor farming, originally established in the 16th century. The construction work in the second half of the 18th century also represents various stages of development: the Chapel of St Wendelin was built in 1747, the Chapel of St Anne in 1753 - the latter was to become a popular place of pilgrimage. The bishop's palace and the three-towered church were built separately, the former in 1783, the latter in 1767 (then the nave only), followed by an enlargement in 1867. The palace and the church have always been the most characteristic landmarks of the settlement.

The growing population gained more agricultural lands by deforestation. This period of local history is commemorated by the name Irtás-major (clearing) and its chapel. The parson and poet János Nagy also contributed to the modernisation of production with his poems, in which he described and popularised various agricultural techniques.

Although by the late 19th century the settlement had lost its rank as a market town, economically it still remained one of the most dominant villages of the Rábaköz region. The census of 1870 registered 2,754 dwellers, 733 horses, 1,324 cattle, 3,614 sheep, 1,200 swine and 45 hivefuls of bees.

At the post office the telegraph started to operate in 1886, while the telephone service has been functioning since 1920. The railway line was built in 1897, but neither the construction works nor the village fields could support the uninterruptedly growing number of local dwellers. As a result, a period of emigration followed, intensified by the devastations of the great fire of 1898.

The residential area called Canada is a reminder of those locals who emigrated to North America. Szany was not left uneffected by the economic crises of the first half of the 20th century, a period which resulted in the curtailment of the country itself. In spite of the difficulties, the Szanyi Ipartestület (craft union) was established in 1912, the Szanyi Gyöngyösbokréta ('pearly bouquet') in 1931. Electricity was introduced in 1936.

Although the fights of the second world war spared the village, in the shadow of the 1950s no considerable progress was to be achieved. It was only in the late 1960s that a progressive era began, which was to reshape the entire village. During this time public utilities were modernised, new educational, cultural, sports and health centres were built, and new services were introduced. The secondary high school, operating here from 1963 to 1969, and the local section of the Csorna Agricultural Vocational School made Szany an educational microcentre. Enhanced financial support was made possible by the fact that in 1973 a joint council was established, and in 1977 the village was raised to the rank of municipality.

Photos:

1. The village centre from a bird’s eye view

2. Roman Catholic Church

3. The Chapel of St. Anne, a famous place for pilgrimages

4. Former bishopric mansion, a historical building. Today library and local history museum.

5. Heroes’ Memorial

6. Cultural Centre

7. The members of the traditional ’Bokréta’ folk dance ensemble in folk costume

8. Interfa Co. furniture factory

9. The fishing pond and the gravel pit from a bird’s eye view

10. Fishing pond

The photos were made by Imre Tóth