National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of szamosszeg
Click to zoom

szamosszeg

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg megye)

The coat of arms of the village is a standing, blue coloured military one with two fesses below. In its shield there is a poising golden willow-tree supported by two storks. The frontispiece is three croci wreathing around a blue-golden convolution. The cotise below shows the SZAMOSSZEG superscription.

The major part of the coat of arms shows the figure of the old stamp of the village, which refers to the municipality and its ancient nature. The two fesses are remindful of the surrounding rivers and are highlighting its natural wealth. The flowers in the frontispiece have the same function.

A presentation of the village of Szamosszeg

The population of the village is 2154, its interior area includes 231 ha. Its periphery is 3299 ha. The village of Szamosszeg is situated on the Szatmári plain, 65 kms east of Nyíregyháza, on the banks of the Szamos River. It is accessible through a minor road connecting to road No 41 at Vásárosnamény. The nearest railway station is in Nagydobos, on the Záhony-Mátészalka railway line. The settlement was named after one of the bends of the River Szamos that existed before its adjustment; ‘szeg’ means corner, angle and nook. The word Szamos refers to the fact that the village is located on the banks of the river. It used to be the domain of the Castle of Szatmár, and in the Middle Ages it would be a royal toll and anchorage.

The earl’s forest lying in the circumference consists of rare species of plants like hornbeam, ash, elm and oak. We can find several protected plants here including the silver crocus that is present in the coat of arms of our village either.

The rivers surrounding the village (Szamos, Kraszna, Northern Channel) are suitable for fishing and boating; the nice environment is encouraging for roaming.

Architectural characteristics: There are several houses built with walls based on flags. We should mention the Reformed Church that was built between 1843 and 1863. In both ends the bodies ending in two arches has a plain, painted wooden ceiling. Supposedly its Copf style pulpit remained from the previous church. The dove on the top of the pulpit crown symbolizes the Holy Spirit. The church having been built in Romantic style is declared to be an ancient monument. The so called ‘Tower School’ (built in the 1890s) is an imposing building and enjoys local protection. The place of consulting-room of the doctor and the health visitor service was put here. The Village Museum is also here, since traditionalism plays a significant role here).