National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szamosbecs
Click to zoom

Szamosbecs

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

The pointed base, convex topped, multiply arched shield gules is party per fess by a bar wavy argent. In the bar the date 1786 is borne in sable. This bar divides an eagle or, double headed, langued, with an open leafed coronet under its wings.

The coat-of-arms is based on the old seal of the village, which appeared in a publication entitled “Seals and Coat-of-arms From the Counties of Bereg, Szabolcs and Szatmár”.

The size of the original seal is 18x21 mm, the shape of the print seal is oval. The oval shape bears the following motto: SZAMOS BECSI. PETSE. 1786. The seal charge as well as the motto is supposedly the work of a travelling gipsy engraver, who made it to order in some hours or in an hour at most. Its graphic, and the curved lines of the letters and numbers shows naivety.

The original print of the seal can be found in the archives of the Calvinist Church District of the Tiszántúl (I.1.s.6.1809). The whereabouts of the printer is unknown.

The coat-of-arms consists of these motifs and in the colours and the re-composition follows the rules of heraldry considerably.

The slightly wavy bar symbolises the River Szamos, which appears in the name of the village and determined the past and present of Szamosbecs. The sate 1786 was taken from the seal. (It is an interesting fact, that the old seal of Komlódtótfalu contains the same date.) According to the specialist literature it is surprising how fast the usage of seals in peasant communities developed.

Unimaginable, that it has no connection to the order of József II, which repealed serfdom.

The double-headed eagle is a symbolic bird, looking into the past and the future at the same time. The fact that this motif also appears on one of the painted panels of the nearby church of Csengersima proves that it is not the borrowing of the Austrian imperial symbol. It is not probably that the Calvinists wanted to see the coat-of-arms of the Habsburgs in their church. The double-headed eagle is also the popular symbol of other nation and ruling families (Albany, Russia, etc.)

Although the village was first mentioned under the name of Bench in 1314 as part of the Gutheled-estate, its name and situation suggests that it existed in the 12th century. In 1334 it was the property of the Várdai family, in the 14th century it had a priest and belonged to the archdeaconry of Ugocsa. At the end of the 14th century Drág and Balk, the Lord Lieutenants of Szatmár and Máramaros, obtained. In 1409 half of the estate became the property of György Csáky, then until the middle of the 16th century it was the possession of the Drágfi family; however, the Gacsályi, Csató and Berzevicky families also had parts of it. Until the middle of the 18th century the village belonged to the Castle of Szatmár. From the early 1800s Earl Teleki and Earl Károlyi were the landlords until the middle of the 19th century.

The historical building church of the village was built in 1481 and was restored in 1683. In 1809 a new shingled roof was put on it, in 1837 an inner transformation took place. The single-nave late Gothic Calvinist church, orientated with a shrine closing in a polygon stands on the Main Street. Its 21 meter high three storey, square based, Classicist tower was built in 1837. The whole restoration of the church took place in 1980. Its architectural interest is the structure of its windows. Despite of the rebuilding of the village, there still exists a significant folk building: a collonade barn with several platforms. The corn-cages, of which the village has a great number in the point of view of ethnography, are still worth mentioning. The village is famous for its apple growing. In the village and in the surrounding area a lot of nicely cultivated apple gardens can be found. The bank of River Szamos, which belongs to the village, is a beautiful and peaceful sight.