National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szakoly [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Szakoly

(The County of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg)

Szakoly is situated in the southern part of the county of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg, in South Nyírség, near Nyíradony.

Kite shield erect, with base pointed. In base per fess azure and vert. In field azure a hawk or. In field vert a coulter and a ploughshare, both argent and edged to the sinister. Across the top a helmet argent, lined gules, bordered and barred or, round the gorget a medaillon on a ribbon, all or. Helm crowned with a five-pointed open crown verdured or, the three verdures adorned with rubies, between them two hurts sapphire; headband adorned with sapphires and rubies. Issuing from the crown three tobacco leaves or, naissant between a wheat ear to the dexter and a branch with an apple to the sinister, all or. Mantling: dexter azure and argent, sinister vert and or.

The azure of the shield symbolises the eternity of time and space; in this case it means that the history of the settlement goes back to ancient times. Its name derives from a personal name, which was common practice in Hungary in the 12th and 13th centuries. The place was owned by a member of the Balog-Semlyén family in 1272, and it was the property of the Káta family in 1291. In 1371 the settlement still belonged to the county of Szatmár, then in 1326 it was given to the county of Szabolcs by King Károly Róbert. It was here that Palatine Dózsa of Debrecen called together the meeting of the county council in March 1320, and there are records that in 1332 it already had a church built to honour St. Nicholas (today a reformed church), with a priest named Peter, then another one called Michael (1343).

The word Szakoly (Szokol) is Slav in its origin and means "hawk" in Hungarian, which explains why the bird of prey as a charge appears in the shield. The owner of the place in 1329 was a person called Ina (Jonathan), so the name of the settlement appeared in the form of Inazakala. Some time later the practice is reversed, and the family begins to use the name of the settlement. The family members comprised the subjects of the Hunyady family, among others Paul, vice-bailiff of Szabolcs (1444), Nicholas, vice-bailiff of Szabolcs and Tokaj's captain (1444-1450) and Peter, vice-bailiff of Szabolcs, captain of Nándorfehérvár/Belgrade and Munkács, as well as bailiff of Bereg (1449-1455).

The settlement was still owned by their descendants as late as the end of the 15th century. In the Turkish era it was depopulated (about 1578), then it was resettled in the 18th century. The settlement had about a dozen owners at this time, among them one member or another of the Baron Eötvös and Count Tisza families. Sándor Szentmiklóssy had a mansion built here in 1895.

The green field is reminiscent of the fact that the area was left uncultivated for a long time. The ploughshare and coulter, which appeared on the settlement's oldest seal used in the early 18th century, mean that the majority of the people made a living out of agriculture. The main crops of the region, represented in the crest, are tobacco, corn and fruit (apple).

The helmet is symbolical of the settlement's heroes who died on the battlefield, while the crown is the emblem of local autonomy. The mantling is representative of the religious denominations of the past and of today: Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Reformed and Jewish.

Pictures:

1. The Calvinist church

2. János Arany Primary and Vocational School

3. World War I and II Memorial

4. The Calvinist church

5. Bay Mansion

6. János Arany Primary and Vocational School

7. The kindergarten