National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szakcs [¤]
Click to zoom

Szakcs

(Tolna County)

Shield –according to the requirements of the period – triangular and erect. Party per fess twice, the bend in the middle divides the shield into three parts. The chief occupies 3/7, the fess 2/7 and the base 2/7 parts of the shield.

Shield is contoured or.

The tinctures of the shield are as follows:

Chief: azure

Fess: gules

Base: azure.

The charges of the shield can be described as follows:

In chief a triple mound vert is borne. On the mound on the dexter side a vinestock (with a leaf, a bunch of grapes and a prop) is borne, all or.

From the mound in the middle a tree is issuing eradicated, leaved and truncated or.

On the sinister mound an ear of corn or.

In fess the charges, taken over from the settlement’s former print seal are borne. The hatchet and the coulter are borne argent.

In the triangular base three pumpkin seeds are borne, all or.

The charges as symbols can be described as follows:

The triple mound is a reference to the geographical location of the settlement, it signifies the hilly area surrounding Szakcs. The vinestock symbolises the richness of this land, and, at the same time it is also a reference to death and rebirth.

The tree borne with its roots signifies the development of the settlement and at the same time it is also the symbol of the unity of past, present and future. The corn refers to the bond between local inhabitants and agriculture.

The hatchet and the coulter recall the past of the settlement, since it used to be a market town. The pumpkin seeds are references to local folk customs.

The brief history of Szakcs can be described as follows:

Szakcs is a settlement in the western part of Tolna County. It is situated on the county border on both banks of the brook Szakcsi. This is a hilly area between the larger rivers Koppány and Kapos, and Szakcs is surrounded by woods. The highest point of the area lies at 277 metres and the Chapel of Öreghegy can be found here. Neighbouring settlements include Törökkoppány, Koppányszántó, Értény, Nagykónyi, Lápafő, Nak, Dalmand and Kocsola.

The most significant archeological finds at Szakcs include two Roman pitchers and a 3rd century collection of coins consisting of 900 pieces. These latter items are on display in the Hungarian National Museum.

During the period of the Hungarian Conquest the area of Tolna County including the area of Szakcs was owned by Chief Árpád. This fact is referred to by many geographical names such as Nyék, Keszi, Kurd, Tevel, Tormás and Szakcs. All these names go back to persons’ names who were the conquerors themselves or their descendants. The word Szakcs might have come from the name of one of Árpád’s grandsons. 17 Árpád-age graves were discovered in 1955 in a local street.

The first written mention of the settlement goes back to a tithe register of 1332. In this document the settlement was mentioned as Sakch and it was also added that it was the most populous parish of the deanery of Regöly. In the period preceding the battle of Mohács the quickly developing settlement grew into one of the most significant market towns of Tolna County.

In the Turkish tax register of 1563 due to its 25 houses Szakcs was still considered as a settlement of significance. It was also in this period that the Catholic church of the settlement got destroyed by the Turks and its priest was also killed by them. The surviving inhabitants – similar to other settlements in Tolna County – converted to Calvinism.

After the expulsion of the Turks the area became the property of the Esterházy family and Szakcs was gradually repopulated. The new settlers included Hungarian as well as Serbian families who arrived from the south. The census of 1710 mentioned 20 families as new settlers, in 1730 the number of these families reached 61 and in 1753 as many as 115 families got registered. The rank of market town was first granted to Szakcs as early as 1388, then in 1795 the settlement was raised to the rank of market town again and it also had the right to hold annual all-country fairs four times a year.

In the middle of the 19th century the number of inhabitants at Szakcs was 3000 and the settlement gave as many as 210 volunteers to the Hungarian National Guard during the Revolution and the War of Independence of 1848/49. It was typical of that period that in addition to the volunteers’ enthusiasm they only had one rifle and one sword.

Guilds, uniting the best local craftsmen played a significant role in the 18th and 19th century history of the settlement. The most outstanding of these was the guild of potters, which produced the nicest works of their craft until as late as the last third of the 19th century.

The ethnographer, Orientalist, poet and university professor Gyula Mészáros (1883-1957) was a notable son of the settlement , who at the beginning of the 20th century pursued linguistic studies in Constantinople, Turkey. He travelled to the Volga region as well to do linguistic research work there. From 1951 onward he lived in New York City and he also died there.

The population mainly consisted of Catholic Hungarians and in 1745 they built a church for themselves in Baroque style. It is a listed historical building today.

Current administrative tasks are performed by the officials of the joint notarial district of Szakcs, Lápafő and Várong.