National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szakály [¤]
Click to zoom


(Tolna County)

Szakály’s coat-of-arms is one of the heraldically regular arms. Shield party per pale, partitioned tiercely with three straight lines. Tinctures join each other, no contours are used. Shield itself is contoured sable.

In sinister chief azure a stag’s head is borne or, with seven stars and a moon in-between its antlers.These charges recall two old legends. One of them is the stag-hunting legend of the period of the Hungarian conquest, while the other one derives from the legend of stars (the Great Bear). All this means that the area of Szakály was inhabited as early as the period of the Hungarian Conquest.

Beyond the legendary meaning the use of the stag’s head as charge is also important from the point of view of local tourism.

In dexter chief gules the depiction of the settlement’s Catholic church is borne, or. Local inhabitants are all righteously proud of their beautiful church building.

In base vert on the dexter side three ears of corn are borne, a motif, which symbolises the agricultural characteristics of the settlement. On the sinister side of the base a bunch of grapes is borne. As it is attested by early 18th century documents and records viniculture was a significant occupation on the hillsides of the area as early as the 1700s.

In the same period Count Mercy of Hőgyész and the Eszterházys were engaged in lawsuits for the possession of the Csernéd estate, since the inhabitants of Szakály had grown wine on the nearby Csernéd hillside.

In addition to the grape motif the base of Szakály’s coat-of-arms also has a wavy bend in it, argent, a charge, which symbolises the Kapos River.

Below the shield on a swallow-tailed ribbon argent the name of the settlement SZAKÁLY is inscribed in capital letters sable.

Shield is crested by two leaves or, contoured sable. These motives have been taken over from the coat-of-arms of the one-time owners of the estate Szakály used to belong to.

At the end of the first century B.C. the conquering Romans found Celtic tribes in the area. Celtic finds are generally quite rare in mainland Europe, but here, in the vicinity of present-day Szakály archeologists have found the traces of an old Celtic settlement. Dénes Gábber, an archeologist from the Archeological Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences directed the excavations in the area for six years from 1969 onward. The material of the Szakály-Öreghegy Avar burial ground is also well-documented.

Szakály got mentioned as Szakál, or Zakal as early as 1273, the period of the reign of King László IV. Csernéd is located straight across Szakály, near the place where today the village mill stands. This settlement was formerly called Csernyéd, or Csernyel, and it was here that the county assemblies were held as early as 1351, then annually from 1399 to 1543, when the Turks eventually raided the area. In the period of the Turkish reign the settlement was sparsely populated: in 1573-74 the Turkish tax collectors registered only six tax payers in the village. From 1581 onward Csernéd was inhabited by Serbs.

As it is attested by records from the 1700s Szakály and the farmsteads of Csicsó were separated from one another by a mound, a mill on the Kapos River was also recorded and it was stated that the people of Szakály lived below a wine-covered hill. In 1760 the village was called Szakál and it was inhabited by Hungarians.

The village of Szakály is located by trunk road No. 65 on both banks of the Kapos River. The number of its inhabitants is 1600, the settlement’s inner area is 221 hectares and its outer area is 3380 hectares. Due to its favourable geographical location today the village is known as a transit settlement. The inhabitants of Szakály mainly live from agriculture, but the railway as well as the proximity of several sizeable settlements also offer job opportunities for the local people. In spite of these conditions unemployment rate is relatively high, so many of the inhabitants start their own businesses.

In the 1990s wood carving summer camps were organised in the village and the works of the participating artists – carved gates, memorial columns, playgrounds - decorate the village today.

In the past Szakály did not have its own seal or coat-of-arms. The neighbouring villages, also located on the banks of the Kapos River featured the motives of a ploughshare, a coulter and a bunch of grapes in their seals and their coats-of-arms.


1-2. Szakály Village Panorama

3. Roman Catholic Church

4. Church Interior

5-6. Country House

7. Millenarian Memorial Park

8. Millenarian Memorial Park, Carvings