National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szakáld [¤]
Click to zoom

Szakáld

(Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County)

Spade shield erect, party per fess azure and argent, base curved to a point. In chief argent a lady’s arm is borne encouped, habited gules. It is holding three roses gules. In base azure a dove, standing on a tree stump is borne, its wings abaisé and it is holding three ears of corn in its beak. Shield is topped by a three-pointed verdured crown or and the supporters of the shield are two linden branches vert. Underneath a ribbon is borne encouped, with the settlement’s name SZAKÁLD inscribed in it.

The two sections of the shield refer to the fact that the village historically consisted of two parts, Poga and Szakáld. The charge of the dove on the tree stump and holding three ears of corn recalls a similar motif from the traditional seal of the settlement’s self government. The lady’s arm, which is holding three red roses, is a reference to St. Anne, the patron saint of the local church. The crown symbolises the one-time landowners of the village and it refers to the fact that Szakáld also used to be a crown estate. The linden branches recall a historical tradition in so far as the new settlers of the village came from Lipnik, a settlement in Sárosd County.

The area, in which Szakáld is located today has in many respects an obscure history. This is the area which surrounds the one-time market town of Muhi. In 1241 Muhi got destroyed by Mongol invaders, but in the early 14th century several smaller settlements and estates came into being in the outer fields of the one-time market town and all these did have some degree of independence. Csüllő was likely to have been one of these smaller pro-settlements, but it is impossible to identify its precise original location. The settlement was in all likelihood situated in the western part of the inner areas of present-day Szakáld, consequently, the village of Szakáld was built on the remains of Csüllő.

Thus it is not clear either what settlement existed in the time of Árpád’s dynasty in the area of present-day Szakáld. The existence of some settlement is proven by the archeological finds excavated at nearby Mulatódomb, which is located between the settlements of Nagycsécs and Szakáld. It was here that rich archeological finds were unearthed some decades ago, all of which are from a cemetery going back to the period of the Hungarian Conquest. Since our ancestors used their cemeteries to signal the borderline between their settlements, it can be taken for granted that the area of present-day Szakáld was inhabited as early as the period of the Hungarian Conquest. This is the only logical explanation as to the location of the Árpád-age cemetery. Although, neither the name Csüllő nor Szakáld appear in contemporary documents.

The whole area of southern Borsod suffered greatly in the period of the Turkish occupation. As a result of the lost battle at Mezőkeresztes, the formerly thriving market town of Muhi as well as its outer fields got destroyed once again in 1596. In the 1600s county documents and registers recorded a place by the name Csüllőpuszta (uninhabited area) and they also recorded the objection of its owners or leaseholders to their neighbours’ using the previously mentioned area.

In the period following the Turkish Conquest and Rákóczi’s War of Independence the power of the king considerably strengthened in Hungary and the Treasury aimed at reacquiring all those lands which it had lost in the former war-stricken periods. Due to this ambition the area of present-day Szakáld became a royal estate and two settlements came into being here, Poga and Szakáld. As late 18th century maps attest to it, the centre of the settlement consisted only of a few buildings, including the village inn, the caretaker’s house and the so-called ’bacsó’ house. All the other buildings in the early 19th century were then constructed by the new settlers to surround these houses. The size and the arrangement of the houses was similar at Poga, too. Tradition has it (from the collection of Frigyes Pesty, 1864) that the settlers who came to Szakáld had come from the settlement of Lipnyik in Sáros County. In public opinion they were considered ’tóts/Slovaks’, but if their religious affiliation is considered they rather belonged to the ethnic group of Rusins.

The one-time uninhabited ’puszta’ – as contemporary documents referred to the area of present-day Szakáld - thus got gradually repopulated and eventually it was legally declared a village in the 1870s. The village of Szakáld has been growing and developing ever since, and all local inhabitants hope that the settlement’growth will remain unbroken in the future, too.