National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Szajol [¤]
Click to zoom

Szajol

(Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County)

The settlement’s coat of arms is a spade shield erect and azure, its base is rounded. In field azure on field vert the charge of an armed warrior is borne, holding a double shield. In field vert a wavy bend argent, a charge, which evokes the nearby Tisza river, the most typical geographical feature of the area.

The armed warrior symbolises those privileges of the population of nobiliary descent, by which, instead of paying taxes, they only did military service for the king. The double shield symbolises the duality of power. The shield on the sinister arm of the warrior, a miniaturised coat of arms of Hungary evokes patriotism and the love of the native country, while the coat of arms on the dexter arm of the warrior bears the local tinctures of azure and argent.

Above the shield a five-pointed nobiliary crown or, also a reference to the original inhabitants of the settlement, who were members of the nobility.

The local government of the village of Szajol brought a decision about the settlement’s coat of arms in 1994. The emblem was created to honour the past, the members of the ancient Hegedűs family, who, on June 30, 1701, received the title of nobility and a coat of arms from Emperor Leopold I. Their coat of arms of 1701 served as basis for the creation of the settlement’s new coat of arms, the charges of which are allusions to the local environment, the settlement’s history and unique characteristics.

Brief History of the Settlement of Szajol

The village of Szajol lies between the Tisza river and one of its mortlakes. It was an inhabited place in the ancient times, in the period of the so-called Körös culture as well.

The name of the settlement in the form Zayli first occurred in 1261 in a document, issued by King Béla IV. The version Szajol goes back to 1571. From 1864-1879 and from 1895-1910 the village was called Tisza Szajol and from 1910 onward the name of the settlement is again Szajol.

Szajol was part of the estate of the Castle of Szolnok and due to its nobiliary inhabitants the settlement did not welcome newcomers or migrants. A document of King Béla IV, dated 1339, mentioned the noblemen of Zajol as well.

In the next period new families took over the ownership of the settlement and Szajol first became a property of the County of Eger, then the ownership went over to the Crown.

In the period of the Turkish Conquest the number of the inhabitants of the village sharply went down. In 1640 Szajol had a parish district of its own and it was then part of the bishopric of Vác. In 1669 Emperor Leopold I in a deed of gift bestowed Szajol on four different noblemen.

In 1672 and 1685 ’kuruc/anti-Habsburg’ troops were stationed in the villag. In the periof of the Mongol raids of 1691 and 1697 the local inhabitants fled to Szolnok.

From 1699 onward Szajol was resettled.

To replace the old wooden church of the settlement, which had collapsed, a new church was built in 1744 and it stood in the village centre for 80 years. In 1833 a new church was built from public donations, which was then rebuilt in 1885. In 1886 Szajol became the centre of a church district.

In 1848 the national guards of Szajol also participated in the fights against Jellasich, the pro-Habsburg Croatian governor, and the inhabitants of the village readily accomodated the revolutionary troops as well.

The role of the village is extremely significant in transport.

The Szolnok-Debrecen railway line was completed on November 25, 1857, which goes through Szajol as well. Side lines were constructed from the main railway line in the directions of Kunszentmárton in 1885, to Szentes in 1887 and Hódmezővásárhely in 1893. The other main railway line which goes to Püspökladány and Nagyvárad via Szajol was completed in 1858. The local railway station was constructed in 1870.

As it is attested by the figures of the first Hungarian census of 1784-1787 the village of Szajol in that period was the property of the Hegedűs and other families and in 68 houses 88 families, a total of 454 people lived there. The number of noblemen was 89.

In 1872 Szajol became a municipality and in 1876 it was annexed to Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County.

490 village people participated in the first world war, out of whom 40 died in various military actions.

During the second world war the fate of Szajol was heavily dependent on that of Szolnok, the county seat. All military operations which were targeted at Szolnok, also involved Szajol, and the settlement served as a kind of Szolnok’s outskirts. The number of population also went down in this period.

All the railway lines, which were constructed after 1848 intersected at Szajol, thus the railway station of the settlement became the sorting depot of Szolnok in the Tiszántúl region. Thus a considerable number of railway employees settled down at Szajol.

From the early 1920s until 1935 new plans were made at Szajol and as a result of this development all the areas designated as building sites were near the railway lines. Thus a new area, the so-called new-Szajol came into existence.It was the residential area for many commuters and railway employees. The number of inhabitants was on the increase.

Agriculture played a role in local life, but an industrial area was also established at Szajol. ÁFOR, the Hungarian Oil Company, warehouses, ERDÉRT, a timbering company opened new industrial plants in the neighbourhood.

A fish breeding facility was established in 1950 and it still operates in Szajol. The development of trade was probably blocked by the proximity of the two traditional trading centres of Szolnok and Törökszentmiklós. In 1879 only one, in 1925 five local shops operated in the village. Today Szajol is well-equipped with shopping facilites.

Public education was locally introduced in 1767 in the house of the school master. The educational needs of the inhabitants today are catered for by the local kindergarten and the Ferenc Kölcsey Primary School.

Szajol is divided into two parts by trunk road No. 4 and it explains the fact, that all public institutions- school, health centre- are to be found in the old and also in the new part of the settlement, on both sides of the main road. The inhabitants’ cultural needs are served by the Community Centre and the Szajol Public Library.

From the point of view of geography Szajol is part of the smaller region of the Tisza river’s flood zone. Its flora is characterised by oak, elm and ash groves, swamp forests and willow trees. Its fauna is characterised by both small and big game.The unique birds of the Tisza flood zone include the kestrel, the heron and the bank swallow.

The Tisza stillwaters, winding in the vicinity of the old part of the village, with a length of 8 kilometres, is an anglers’ paradise.

Infrastructurally Szajol is well-equipped. The entire area of the village has water mains and sewerage, there is electricity, gas, telephone, cable network and all the settlement’s roads and streets are paved. Currently the number of Szajol’s inhabitants is 4100 people.

The Nairam Resting Area and Leisure Centre, Pension Godó and the Convoy Restaurant and Motel offer nice time and good service for the visitors.

E-mail address: szajolph@axelero.hu