National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szabadkígyós [*** ¤]
Click to zoom

Szabadkígyós

(The County of Békés)

The history of Szabadkígyós (formerly Kígyós) dates back to the age of the Anjous, for in a document of the Chapter of Arad dated 1398 it was mentioned as a possession. (This document was in 1446 rewritten by Palatine Lőrinc Héderváry.) Prior to this, in 1394, reference had already been made to a road leading to the settlement, which was first owned by György Gacsály (Georgius dictus Gachal), then by the Ajtósi family, later by László Szokoli and many others. During the centuries it got de- and repopulated several times. Following the expulsion of the Turks, it fell into the hands of Baron Harruckern; then, by right of succession, it became the possession of the Counts Wenckheim. In 1815 Count József Wenckheim founded a tobacco-growing village by the name Újkígyós. After this the original settlement of Kígyós, where a landlord's mansion and later a palace as well as a chapel (completed in 1878) had been built, was regarded as the centre of the manor and began to be called Ókígyós or Ókígyós-puszta. This manor, together with the groups of buildings around it, was in 1950 reorganized as an independent village and was given the name Szabadkígyós.

The coat-of-arms of Szabadkígyós is marshalled. Chief shield erect, gules, base curved to a point. A serpent diapered or and vert, borne respecting in middle chief and gliding to the sinister-dexter-sinister-dexter, holding in its open mouth a scimitar pointing to the dexter, bladed argent and tilted or. In fess point an inescutcheon azure, charged with the stylised building of the Wenckheim Palace tinctured or and roofed gules.

Across the top a nine-pointed count's coronet; five points gorged with pearls or, the ones in between with pearls azure, the headband adorned with two rubies between three turquoises. Issuing from the triple-rounded lining gules a demi Latin cross or.

Mantling: dexter gules and or, sinister azure and argent.

This coat-of-arms is one belonging to the category of canting arms, in which the snake, the denominator of the settlement, refers to the one-time area abundant in waters, to its wildlife and to the mediaeval history of the village. The sword is a reminder of the past five hundred years of fight fought by the local people for survival. Since the sword is in the mouth of the snake, it is also an expression of the present-day name Szabadkígyós. The palace borne in the inescutcheon and the count's coronet placed on top of the shield represent the ownership of the Wenckheim family as well as the most significant local building. The triple-divided lining of the crown evokes the local people's blood spilt for their homeland, whereas the cross growing out of the crown symbolises their faith.

Pictures:

1, The Wennckheim Palace at Szabadkígyós

2, A part of the park of Wenckheim-Palace in Szabadkígyós