National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Szabadhídvég [¤]
Click to zoom

Szabadhídvég

(The County of Fejér)

Szabadhídvég is situated on the right bank of the Sió Canal. From the north it is bordering on Enying, from the northwest on Ádánd, from the south on Felsőnyék, from the southwest on Magyarkeszi, and from the west on Nagyberény.

The geographical characteristics of the village include that the Sió Canal has a 11-km-long section in its area, together with a 7-kilometre-length of the Lepsény-Mezőhídvég railway line. The neighbouring counties are Tolna and Somogy. The village covers an area of 7,631 acres, while the number of inhabitants is 1,032. The Pélpuszta Agricultural Ltd., as well as the Győzelem Agricultural Cooperative of Lajoskomárom are in operation here. The neighbourhood of the village is an undulating, hilly area. It is not covered by forests, and the agricultural fields covering it yield a medium-to-good crop. The majority of the local people deal in agriculture. The village is situated at 122 m above sea-level.

As far as the historical past is concerned, the village was first mentioned in writing in 1344, when a document related 'villa Hiydwegh', that is, a settlement called Hídvég.

The name Szabadhídvég was given to the settlement in 1922, when the villages of Városhídvég, Faluhídvég and Szabadhegy were united. According to the evidence of local history, the oldest of all these settlements was Városhídvég.

The village's coat-of-arms is a Renaissance shield vert-argent-vert, the tinctures being identical with the colours of the settlement's flag. In the middle of the shield a castle is borne, symbolising the palisade and later the earthwork which used to defend the Sió line during Rákóczi's war of independence in the 18th century. The pattern made up of three hearts evokes the 1922 union of the three original villages of Faluhídvég, Városhídvég and Szabadhegy. The same year indicates the beginning of the history of the new settlement called Szabadhídvég. The wavy bar refers to the fact that the village is situated on the bank of the Sió. The five-pointed nobiliary coronet across the top honours those 29 local families who, according to the census of 1784, were of noble descent. From 1688 onwards the residents of Hídvég only owed military service to the crown, meaning that they paid their tax with their blood as the nobles did. The colour green refers to the agricultural characteristics of the village, while the colour white symbolises moral purity.