National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Szabadbattyán [¤]
Click to zoom

Szabadbattyán

(County Fejér)

Shield erect party per fess, pierced flanche-wise, the base curved to a point. In the upper field azure, issuing from two mounds vert sloping into a vale in the middle a demi harrow argent. Inside the harrow five wheat stalks erect with heads or. In the lower field gules an arm vambraced argent, holding a sword. Above the embowment a six-pointed star alaisé or.

The harrow and the wheat borne in the coat-of-arms symbolise agriculture, the most ancient activity in the region. The five wheat stalks represent the five settlements (Csabda, Somlyó, Fetel, Tevel and Főd) which later merged into Battyán. The history of Battyán (Csíkvár) is inseparable from military operations, as proved by the Kula Tower and the vambraced arm holding a scimitar. The six-pointed star is a reference to the six settlements making up the present-day municipality.

Szabadbattyán is situated at 70 kilometres from Budapest and at 10 kilometres southwest of Székesfehérvár. The number of permanent dwellers is 4,200. The settlement boasts excellent conditions for transport. One the one hand, trunk road 70 and the road linking Simontornya with trunk road 8 both go through the village, while on the other hand the M7 motorway runs nearby, with a junction to be found in the southeastern corner of the settlement. Szabadbattyán also has a railway station on the lines Budapest-Tapolca and Budapest-Nagykanizsa.

From Szabadbattyán one can easily get to Lake Balaton (30 kms away) and Lake Velencei (20 kms away).

Szabadbattyán is one of the oldest settlements in the county. It was inhabited as early as the prehistoric age, and significant artefacts from the Roman times and the age of the great migration were also found on its site. In the present-day area of the settlement several mediaeval villages used to be situated; documents mention the names of Főd, Somlyó, Csabda, Tevel, Fetel and, naturally, Battyán.

It is known from a document dated 1326 that Battyán was situated on the western bank of the river Saar. The settlement used to be in the possession of the Kővágó Eörsi family and the Counts Batthyány. According to documents from 1567, the village had a mansion and a church. The fortification consisting of some earthenwork and the Kula Tower, both built in the Middle Ages, are the most significant sights of Szabadbattyán. The tower reconstructed in 1975 now houses a museum, currently featuring exhibits from the age of the Turkish rule, otherwise on display at the museums of the county Fejér.

The stronghold was first mentioned as Csíkvár by a document of 1649. A defter (Turkish tax register) from 1570 called the settlement Battyán. Around this time the dwellers were mainly engaged in wheat growing, viticulture, bee-keeping, the growing of cabbage, flax, onion and garlic, and the keeping of lamb and swine. This is also proved by the names of certain areas such as Bárányrét (Lamb Pasture), Kenderföldek (Hemp Fields) and Hereföldek (Clover Fields). Some geographical names refer to historical events, for example Kuntava (Cuman Lake) or Agarét (Agha Field).

The two parts of the settlement, which were originally independent, were mentioned as Falu-Battyán or Szabadbattyán by 11th century documents. Both villages had their own church, and later a school and a village hall.

The former settlement was inhabited by Calvinists, the latter by Catholics. The two villages were eventually united in 1950 by the name of Szabadbattyán.

The construction of the Roman Catholic church is related to the Batthyány family. The first altarpiece was painted by a female family member. Above the entrance the coat-of-arms of the Battyány family can be seen, while in the churchyard there stands the statue of St John of Nepomuk, a listed monument. The Calvinist church, the oratory of which was made from mudflake, was reconstructed in 1748.

The landmark of the village is Cifrakert (a garden) between the Nádor Canal and the Sárvíz- Malomcsatorna (channel). The garden, created by Countess Lajosné Batthyány, used to belong to the mansion. In the English-style park surrounding the building there were rare species of plants and trees, that was why the residents called it Cifrakert (approx. elegant garden). The mansion got damaged in the second world war and was pulled down after 1945. The sycamore trees planted in the early 1800s have by now grown gigantic in size, with not one of them boasting a girth of 350 cms. The park is a nature conservation area.

In the northern outer fields of Szabadbattyán, by trunk road 70, in the vicinity of Székesfehérvár an area called Emmaróza can be found. With its bungalows, vineyards and orchards it is mainly a recreation area for the residents of Székesfehérvár. (The denominator was Emmaróza Batthyány, a member of the Batthyány family.) In the eastern outer fields, directly by the M7 motorway, one can find Lajostelep, a district of gardens. The owners are chiefly from the capital city of Budapest. This place also acquired its name from a member of the Batthyány family. The sights of Székesfehérvár are within easy reach, and so is the excavation site of Gorsium, at a mere 2.5 kms away.

The majority of the residents of Szabadbattyán commute to Székesfehérvár to work, while others are local entrepreneurs and farmers.

Photos:

1. Village Hall

2. Cultural Centre

3. "Cifrakert" Kindergarten

4. Kula-tower

5. "Cifrakert" (Gaudy garden)

6. Memorial (of József Beszédes hydro-engineer)

7. Doctor's Office

8. Restaurant Csikvár

9. Service-house

10. Savings bank