National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Surd
Click to zoom

Surd

(Zala county)

Surd is situated on the southern part of Zala county, on the border with Somogy county. It is 16 km far from the regional centre of Nagykanizsa and 5-6 km far from the neighbouring villages (Nemespátró, Belezna, Zákány). Until the early 1950s the settlement belonged to Somogy county. The surrounding is a hilly woodland here with picturesque landscapes. The population of the village is 690. The people livig here are engaged in agriculture, mainly in growing pine and sweet chestnut trees.

The village of Surd first appeared in a document dating from 1268. Then the settlement was owned by the Hahót family. During the centuries it had got several owners, e.g. in 1468 the Forster and the Himfi families, in 1471 the Kanizsai family, in 1481 the Bornemissza family, in 1550 the Zalai family, in 1626 the Szalay family, in 1701-1703 the Szabó family, in 1715 the Madarász family, in 1726 the Szalay family, in 1757 the Niczky family, in 1835 the Festetics and Inkey families, in 1856 bishop Count Domonkos Zichy and then his son Count Ödön Zichy.

The village has got a beautiful old park dating from the Zichy's days. In 2000 on the Millennium Celebraton the Representatives of the village named the park after Zichy in honour of the former owner. Unfortunately the castle which used to stand here, too was pulled down. From the main road towards the park a wonderful double line of plane trees enchant the eyes. These trees are said to be more than 100 years old. But one can find here silver mapples, oak trees, yew trees, different kinds of pine trees and even sorb trees. In spring the Japanese quince and the goldenrod make the park more colourful. In the Count's days there was also a well-house in the park. Later the inhabitants changed it into a pioneer room, but it's old form and colour as well as it's interesting windows were kept in the original state. Unfortunately it is empty at present. The students of the local primary school plan to make a museum in it exhibiting all the old intstruments and tools they have collected.

Close to the park there is a fish pond. There are pines, willows and thuyas around it. The pond is supplied by a spring with it's source in Budai-hole. Sometime in the past a well-ring was put on the source place. On the hill next to the pond there are two chestnut trees. They are said to be more than 500 years old. According to the legends Kodály's peacock flew up here, since in 1937 the famous peacock tunes were collected and recorded here by Vilmos Seemayer and were later composed by Zoltán Kodály.

The par, the old chestnut, pine and apple trees are all owing to Károly Petrezilka, who later changed his name to the more Hungarian sounding Pagony. He was the forester of the Count and the local arboretum (tree nursery) was also founded by him. Coming home from his captivity after the I. world war he brought the seeds from the Caucasus in the lining of his coat. He planted them here and those trees have been decorating the arboretum since then. One can find here wonderful mammoth trees, tulip trees, magnolias and nearly 100 kinds of different thuyas, bushes and trees can be seen and bought here.

According to the legends there were two castles in the neighbourdhood, too: Pata and Söméte. The Turkish are said to destroy them, but finally Jellasics and his troop put an end to them.

There are two religious denominations living in the village. The new roman catholic church was built in 1989. The evangelical denomination celebrated it's 400-year-old existence in 2000. In 1600 they already had got a wooden church here. The present evangelical church was built 205 years ago. The Slovene reformer, teacher, Bible translator and evangelical clergyman István Kuzmics was on service here between 1755-79. At present there are 340 evangelists in the village.

In the settlement on the Heroes' square there is also a monument with the names of those killed in the I. and II. world wars.

There is a nursery, a primary school, a cultural house, a mayor's office, a GP's consulting room, a savings bank and a hairdresser's, and there are also groceries and pubs in the village. There is a welfare officer and a veterinary surgeon working here, too.

Arms of the village:

The upper part commemorates the Zichy family who owned this territory for a long time. The three hills in the lower, silver part symbolize the hilly woodland around the village and the pine trees appear as the most important means of living.