National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sóshartyán
Click to zoom

Sóshartyán

(The County of Nógrád)

The settlement’s coat of arms can be described as follows: Triangular spade shield erect. Chief and fess gules, base vert. In the middle of the field gules the stylised depiction of the tower of the settlement’s church of 1906 is borne, argent. The tincture is also a reference to a spring of alcalic water, the so called Jódaqua, a name, which appeared as part of the settlement’s name as early as the late 16th century. (It was used as anterior constituent to the settlement’s name in order to distinguish it from the name of neighbouring Kishartyán.) The settlement’s coat of arms also features two ears of corn, both or.

The charges in the settlement’s coat of arms can be interpreted as follows: The oldest seal print of the settlement goes back to 1852 and it can be found on a contemporary document certified by judge Antal Habon. It was a wax seal of circular shape and it featured the following motifs, which were all references to the inhabitants’ agricultural lifestyle. On the sinister side three ears of corn were borne and toward the dexter a coulter and a ploughshare. These charges were pointing upward and their edges were turning outward. On the dexter side above the ploughshare motif the charge of the sun rayonnant was borne, radiating its warmth toward the agricultural land. Around these charges the inscription was as follows: SOOSS HARTYÁN ANNO 1802. This inscription is a proof of the fact that the village of Sóshartyán preserved its traditional early 19th century seal and used it uninterruptedly even after the fall of the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848/49.

The village of Sóshartyán has not had a flag of its own.