National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Söréd [¤]
Click to zoom

Söréd

(The County of Fejér)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base. In the field azure a female figure or. In the dexter chief the coat-of-arms of the Gyula clan: gules, a lion rampant or; in the sinister chief the coat-of-arms of the Árpád dynasty: a shield erect with a pointed base, barry of seven gules and argent.

The coat-of-arms belongs to the category of canting arms, since it refers to the settlement's first significant landowner called Sarolt (Söréd), whose name is borne by the village. The field barry of seven in the chief symbolises relationship with the Árpáds.

One of the main Roman thoroughfares, which led from Aquincum to Savaria, after leaving Floriana (Csákvár) wound its way through Csákberény, Orondpuszta and Söréd, where very early Roman coins from the time of the Roman rule of Pannonia (1st century AD) were found near the road.

The early Hungarian settlement was called Soruuld in 1193, then Serald in 1251. In this period it was a castle possession. In the 14th century the owners were the members of the Sörédi nobiliary family and their inheritors. For an extended period of time, certain members of this family took part in settling several contemporary problems as court officials. In the 15th-16th centuries the name of the village got mentioned with relation to lawsuits concerning arbitrary actions. The fact that the settlement had a church at the beginning of the 16th century is known from a document of 1523, although the site of the church has not yet been identified.

The village got deserted during the Turkish occupation, and in 1662 it was still uninhabited. In 1691 Söréd and the estate at Csókakő got into the possession of the Hochburg family, although prior to this the village had never belonged to Csókakő. In 1785 there were 342 inhabitants in the village, which until 1788 was associated with Bodajk, and later with Csókakő. In 1788 a former school building was converted into a chapel, but in 1813-4 a church to honour St. Michael was also built. Since it was demolished during the second world war in 1944-5, it had to be pulled down. A new church was completed in 1952.

The most important contemporary issue for the settlement is the establishment of public utilities. Although water mains were installed years ago, the villagers of Sőréd, in co-operation with the dwellers of Bodajk, drilled a well in the Kajmáti-valley, and today 65 per cent of Sőréd's water supply is gained from that source. Gas pipelines were laid in 1995, backed by each household with a contribution of 50,000 HUF. At the beginning of the year 1997, out of 150 households 80 were connected to the gas network. Telephones have been installed in 106 local homes.

Although there is no school in the village, 23 children are educated in the local kindergarten, on the construction of which 18 million forints were spent. The well-developed infrastructure of transport features a frequent coach service to the major cities of Hungary including Székesfehérvár, Mór, Zirc, Győr, Budapest and Pécs. The village has a county second league football team, a choir and a pensioners' club.

The main tourist attractions of Sőréd include some old houses, the row of wine cellars on the hillside and the nearby Vértes landscape protection area.