National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Soponya [¤]
Click to zoom

Soponya

(County Fejér)

The coat-of-arms is marshalled. The chief shield is a heater erect with a pointed base, party per cross vert and gules. In the first field vert an eight-pointed star or, symbolising the Calvinist members of the village population. In the second and third fields gules a bend wavy argent respectively, representing the Nádor and Malom canals, which flow across the area of the settlement. In the fourth field vert a cross or, referring to the Catholic members of the village community. The inescutcheon is also a heater erect, framed or. In the middle of the field azure a garb (wheat sheaf) or, flanked with a ploughshare on the dexter and a coulter on the sinister, both argent.

The shield is topped by a heraldic crown or, which originates in the coat-of-arms of the Zichy family.

Below the shield a ribbon vert, in which the settlement’s name ’Soponya’ is inscribed in letters sable.

Soponya is located by Sárvíz, in the eastern part of Nyugat-Mezőföld, in the southeastern part of the county Fejér, at a distance of 24 kms from Székesfehérvár, and 8 kms from Tác-Gorsium. It has been an area inhabited by Hungarians ever since the Magyar conquest of Hungary.

Like most settlements in the region, our village is very old; the first documented mention of it goes back to 1276. (Public Record Office, 65.e. 1/1976.)

According to data from 1688, during the Turkish occupation the inhabitants of Sziget-Soponya lived between the Nádor and Malom canals.

From the mid-17th century, the history of the village got closely related to that of Nagyláng, a settlement that had been known from the 14th century, but which was devastated together with its meadiaeval parish church during the Turkish rule. Following the destruction of the chapter, the village called Belső Láng (Nagyláng) built on a new site and the neighbouring lands remained to be the possessions of Várpalota. In 1650 Emperor Ferdinand III bestowed Nagyláng on István Zichy. As a result, the settlement was owned by the Lánghy branch of the Counts Zichy until as late as 1945.