National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Somogysámson
Click to zoom

Somogysámson

(Somogy County)

In the triangular shield azure there is a vaulted window, two argent bastions with battlements. From the middle pediment an or oak-branch breaches with two leaves and three acorns.

The history of the village of Somogysámson

Somogysámson lies 15 kilometres from Balaton, on the western side of Marcali rib, in the northwest corner of the county. Keszthely is only twenty kilometres away; Nagykanizsa is thirty-three kilometres and Marcali only ten kilometres away from the village. The busy intersection at the railway station of Balatonszentgyörgy is only thirteen kilometres away. The clear of the village is 170 hectares and the total surface is 2114 hectares. It has about 800 inhabitants.

References to Somogysámson can be found in medieval church correspondence. It was first mentioned in 1533 in an egyezséglevél (letter of an agreement, a contract) of an estate. The village has already had a chapel then. In 1535 Bálint Török took by a lease for a whole year the tenth of Somogy county from abbot Máté (Matthew) and his convent for the sum of 300 forints. Among the villages paying the tenth is “Sámson”. In the Middle Ages the prebends of the holy grave had a friary here, which was destroyed during the Turkish thraldom period. Not long after that the village belonged to the castle of Kiskomár and later on to the provostry of Óbuda. Until the 20th century it was in the hands of the seminary of Budapest since 1782. The high chaplain of Esztergom and the local vickarage also owned significant areas. It had been the biggest village of the region in the 20th century (especially between the two World Wars): It had more than 1000 inhabitants. Somogysámson had an important role in the administration: a rural district had been functioning in it until1950. From 1950 to the downfall of the regime it had been the seat of the Községi Közös Tanács (Collective Council of the Village). The conjunct villages were Somogyzsitfa and Csákány.

There was another church on the territory of the village, “Beke” or “Beky”, which is mentioned first in 1333 and later on in 1436, and it is possibly identical with the present-day Bökei cart-road or Böki mountain.

Marótpuszta belongs to the administrative area of Somogysámson. Its name first came up in a purchase-deed on the name of Peter, son of Domonkos, from Maroth. The present-day Marótpusta is built on the ruins of two medieval villages. Kismarót and Nagymarót. “Nagymarod” belongs to the circle of villages paying tenth to Bálint Török. Its owner at that time was János Komornyik. In the autumn of 1566 the village falls into the hands of Turks. On the 1st military chart of Joseph II a steeplewise sign can be seen next to the name of Marót. The excavation of the medieval settlement began in 2003.

The endowement of the region is very favourable – its soil is gritty, hard and semi hard ground – therefore the opportunities for agriculture and stock raising are excellent. The people were mainly living on agriculture and from recently on viticulture. More and more foreign families either move to the village or buy a summerhouse here. The settlement (despite the fact that it has only 6 streets) stretches profusely on both sides of the Fő (Main) street. On Fő street are the famous buildings and public institutions.

In the village centre is the Roman Catholic church and the vicarage, the foundations of which reminds us of the Turkish period. The church has been consecrated in 1773. Its fallen down tower (1781) could only be rebuilt decades later. In 1777 the church received its first organ; a century later even the chancel had to be rebuilt on account of a new organ. The modifications were made possible from generous gifts of the congregation. The painting for the high-altar was finished in 1884. In the church garden there is a monument of the 88 heroes died in the world War.

The faluház (parish hall) designed to reflect the spirit of organic architecture was built in 1989-1992 by Ervin Nagy. The constructor – Imre Makovecz’s partner – used 44 oak ears to be the pillars of the building. Trees are determinant elements of the building: 300 m3 of wood was dimensioned for the construction.

The people of Sámson had not given up on the utilization of the underground treasures drawing under the village. We are talking about 96-98 C warm thermal- and medicinal water, hidden 1850 metres underground, just waiting to be employed in the benefit of the people of the village and its region.

Since October 1998 Somogysámson has its own coat-of-arms and banner. These are valuable symbols of the community thought and emotional bond between people, and not simply material developments. The two main motifs of the coat-of-arms, designed by József Deák-Varga heraldist, are the bastion and the oak-tree placed within the triangular shield azure. It represents the habitat and the history of the settlement. The argent bastion alludes to the two mottes standing once in the outskirt of the village; the excavation of one of them (Marót) is going on at the present. The or oak-branch with two leaves and three acorns refers to the habitat. On the eastern border of the village is the Marcali rib, with its beech-, wattle- and oak forests rich in game and mushrooms. The former seals of the village were decorated with agricultural symbols (a farmer working with a ploughshare or a wheat-sheaf and vine-stock).

The favourable geographical location of Somogysámson (Balaton, Zalakaros and Hévíz are in the nearby), the romance of the vineyard in its outskirt, the hospitality of people and the lovely rural ambient have a share in making visitors enjoy their stay and leave with pleasant memories.

Photos:

1. Mayor's Office

2. The House of the Village

3. The House of the Village

4. Publicity Board

5. Elementary School

6. Surgery

7. Bus Stop

8. Mortuary, gate