National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-arms of the Village of Somogyaracs [¤]
Click to zoom

Somogyaracs

(Somogy County)

Triangular shield erect and azure. In field vert the figure of a Roman warrior (St. Florian) is borne, flanked by a six-pointed star or on the dexter and the descending moon or on the sinister side. In his dexter hand the saint is holding a wooden vessel with a handle, from which he is pouring water on a burning house, which is borne at his feet. With his sinister hand he is tightly holding a banner.

In 1877 the settlement was destroyed by a great fire. In order to commemorate this event the inhabitants of the settlement chose St. Florian as their patron saint. It was quite common in the early Middle Ages that the patron saint’s figure appeared in the coats-of-arms of various villages and towns.

The inhabitants of Somogyaracs followed the same example by choosing the charge of St. Florian, the patron saint of firemen for themselves, who died a martyr’s death in defense of his faith.

The Past, Present and Future of the Village of Somogyaracs

Somogyaracs is a small settlement in the southern part of Somogy County. It lies half way between the settlements of Babócsa and Csokonyavisonta.

The first written mention of the settlement goes back to 1269. In the early 1400s it was an uninhabited settlement and it was owned by the Counts Rindsmaul; a few decades later Somogyaracs went into the hands of the Török family of Enying. At the beginning of the 1500s the members of the Perneszi family got hold of the settlement and their right to the property was approved by the king as well. The last landowners were the members of the baronial Somssich family. The oldest seal of the village goes back to 1789.

The first public school was established at Somogyaracs in 1839. The census of 1870 registered 424 local inhabitants. In 1877 half of the settlement burnt down. In that period the village was located in the vicinity of Csokonyavisonta, but after the fire it was reconstructed in its present-day location. In the 19th century the village was mainly inhabited by Croatians.

In 1910 the number of inhabitants was 428, but in that period the majority of local people was Catholics and it was only a few Calvinists who lived at Somogyaracs. The settlement’s Roman Catholic church was built in 1954 from the bricks of the houses of one-time Halastó farmstead.

The Haladás cooperative used to employ the local people and it was famour for being the first agricultural cooperative of the settlement. Then in 1956 it got united with the cooperatives of Babócsa, Bolhó and Rinyaújnép.

A lower primary school operated in the village until as late as 1976, but then educational districts were organised in the area, so the school as well as the local council of Aracs ceased to exist after this time.

Children are offered a daily schoolbus service from Somogyaracs to the primary school and the kindergarten of Babócsa. The only institution which still operates in the village is a club for the elderly.

Since the local railway ceased to operate and the bus service was also scarce many people left the village and settled down elsewhere, because it was difficult for them to commute to their places of work. In the meantime Gypsys settled down in the village and they moved into the abandoned village houses. Today approximately 50% of the village population is made u pof Romany people and with the exception of one or two Gypsy inhabitants, they are all unemployed who live on aid and or occasionally pick and sell herbs.

Today there is a forestry association in the village, the members of which take care of, clean and utilise a 100-hectare wooded area. Oak trees of several-hundred years of age can be found in the local forest and this place used to be a favourite excursion spot for young people from the neighbourhood. The forest is rich in game, it is the habitat for stags, deer and wild boar.

In addition to the local government there is a gypsy local government in the village as well. They cooperate closely with the local government of Babócsa in order to operate the joint school, kindergarten, the home for the elderly and the office of the district notary.

Due to its favourable geographical location and its tranquil atmosphere today an increasing number of foreigners purchase houses or building sites in the village of Somogyaracs.

The village is linked to the water mains and to the national telephone network. The most important task of the near future is the establishment of the sewage cleaning system in order to protect the environment.