National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Somberek [¤]
Click to zoom

Somberek

(Baranya County)

Spade shield erect, party per fess, chief party per pale. In the upper dexter or, a trefoiled leaf proper (vert), in the upper sinister gules a lion argent fourchée, holding three flowers proper (argent) in its sinister front paw. Below, in field vert a ploughshare and a coulter are borne palewise, both argent.

The design of Somberek's coat-of-arms can be justified historically. Its charges include the cornel, a word, referring to the name of the settlement (cornel means som in Hungarian), the heraldic beast of the landowner's coat-of-arms as well as the symbols of local agriculture (ploughshare and coulter).

The design described above can be explained as follows:

In the upper dexter field or (yellow) cornel leaves are borne, a motif, which refers to the settlement's name. According to linguistic hypotheses the word som signifies on the one hand the cornel plant, and on the other a place, grown over with cornel bushes and trees.

In sinister field gules the main charge is a lion rampant, fourchée and argent (white), holding three flowers argent (white) in its front paw. This motif was taken over from the coat-of-arms of the settlement's one-time landowners, members of the Sauska family.

In lower field vert a ploughshare and a coulter are borne, both palewise and argent. These tools are symbols of agricultural work and they refer to the rural nature of the village.

A Short Description of the History of the Village of Somberek

The settlement is situated in the eastern part of County Baranya. It lies at a distance of 45-50 kilometres east of Pécs, the county seat. Being one settlement of the Baranya Hills region Somberek belongs to the sphere of attraction of Mohács.

The settlement deservedly takes pride in its fascinating atmosphere and beautiful surroundings.

The number of Somberek's inhabitants is 1,735 and the number of houses is 510.

According to archival evidence Somberek was first mentioned in documents as early as 1382. In the earliest period the settlement was inhabited by Hungarians until the time when the Turks defeated the Hungarian army at Mohács. Following this event, in the period of the Turkish occupation, the settlement got depopulated.

Toward the end of the 16th century groups of Serbs began to settle down at Somberek; they began to arrive in significant numbers only after 1696, when the Turks were expelled from Hungary.

The first groups of German immigrants from various regions of Germany moved in this area at about the 1750s and 1760s and the German - Hungarian ethnic composition was typical of Somberek until as late as the first half of the 20th century.

After 1945 the German inhabitants were expatriated and Székely people from Bukovina (eastern Transylvania), as well as Hungarian families from the upper Highlands were settled down in the village.

Considering the current ethnic composition of the settlement it is well-balanced, with a 55-45 % percentage of the German-Hungarian population.

Considering its general appearance Somberek by all means gives the impression of a clean, orderly and developed settlement.

The majority of local inhabitants work in agriculture. In addition to cultivating the village fields local families also breed animals, partly for their own needs, partly for sale.

At Somberek the unemployment rate is lower than the national average. This is due to the fact that in the recent past several smaller industrial establishments began to operate in the village. These plants manufacture shoe uppers and various articles of clothing. Thus industry can absorb the greater part of the local surplus in work force.

The number of local entrepreneurs is over 50. Most of them work in agriculture, commerce, tourism or provide some other services. The level of commercial supply is high; there are four catering establishments as well as four food stores in the village. The beer hall and bed and breakfast place, called Granárium, also plays a remarkable role in local tourism since it is very popular with tourist groups.

The standard of medical care is extremely high and it is built on the services of a local general practitioner, a dentist and a nurse. Village infrastructure is up-to-date and 99% of the village houses is equipped with running water. Drains construction has been completed and the collection as well as the treatment of communal waste is up-to-date and well-organised. At Somberek the number of houses linked to the natural gas pipeline is higher than the county average.

All local streets and sidewalks are paved.

As far as the telephone services are concerned Somberek has been linked to the long-distance calling system and 80% of the houses is equipped with telephone.

99% of the houses is part of the cable television network.

There are only a few old houses in the village representing rural architectural style. These are continuously being modernised. The detached family houses with pyramidal roofs are the most typical examples of village architecture, and, more recently, multi-storey houses with attic rooms have become increasingly popular.

By systematic and careful village planning new and attractive districts have come into being at Somberek.

The Roman Catholic church of the village was built in Baroque style, its sanctuary is of Gothic origin. According to certain historical sources the church was consecrated in 1782.

The Greek Orthodox church was built at the beginning of the 18th century and today it represents one of the oldest buildings in the village. Both churches are listed historical buildings.

The former mansion of the Sauska nobiliary family today serves as home for the elderly. The village has a modern kindergarten as well, the building of which can accomodate as many as 120 children. The building of the primary school was completed in the 1980s and it is very well-equipped. Both educational institutions are bilingual and in addition to Hungarian, German as a minority language is used there.

The village cultural centre opened in 1974 and its tasks include not only the organisation of various local festivals and celebrations, but also the offering of courses and entertaining programmes. The members of the Székely Pávakör (Choral Society) perform the old songs of those villagers who had come from Hadikfalva, Transylvania. The choral societies of ethnic Germans and of the Hungarians from the Upper Highlands region revive their own traditional folk songs. The village can also boast a youth brass band, a German and a Hungarian folk dance ensemble as well as a variety of sports clubs. The cultural centre is also in charge of the collections of local history and folklore.

Somberek, as a multi-ethnic settlement is aimed at satisfying its citizens' needs in establishing partnership links with settlements from abroad. The most significant ethnic group at Somberek, the Germans, established a partnership link with Langenau, Germany in 1989, then with Sinabelkirchen, Austria. After 1945 many Hungarians settled down at Somberek, who had originated from Jelka, Slovakia. These inhabitants also established contacts with those who had remained in their native village in Slovakia.

The Székely people, who represent the third ethnic group wish to cooperate more closely in the future with the inhabitants of Madéfalva, Romania.

The modern features of Somberek are the direct results of the coordinated work and the joint efforts of the local Székely, German and Hungarian population, of all those people, who, surviving the stormy periods of Hungarian history, have all made their home at Somberek.

Der Wappenschild des Dorfes Somberek

(Die Komitat von Baranya)

Somberek liegt im Komitat Baranya (Branau) 12 km von der historischen Stadt Mohacs entfernt. In vielen Dörfer, so auch in unser Dorf leben Einwohner die von deutscher Herkunft sind.

Unsere Gegend nennt man auch die "Schwäbische Türkei", und zwar deshalb, weil die meisten schwäbischen Dörfer auf diesem Gebiet, - zwischen der Donau und Drau - nach der Türkenherrschaft im 18. Jahrhundert entstanden sind.

Somberek, oder auf deutsch Schomberg, hat etwa 1785 Einwohner. Die Gegend unseres Dorfes war schon von den Urzeiten bewohnt, aber die erste schriftliche Erwähnung stammt aus dem Jahre 1382. Im Laufe der Geschichte wurde die Siedlung mehrmals zersört.

Dieses Gebiet Ungarns, - so auch unser Dorf - wurde von den Türken im 16 Jahrhundert erobert und zerstört. Sie wurden erst im 17 Jh. vertrieben.

Im Wandel der Zeit wurden am Anfang des 18. Jahrhunders Deutschen angesiedelt, weil man brauchte Arbeitskraft.

Von den Deutschen wurden nach dem zweiten Weltkrieg viele vertrieben. Statt den Vertriebenen kamen Sekler aus der Bukovina (Buchenland), und Oberungaren - aus der Umgebung von Preßburg.

Jetzt leben neben den ungarischen Einwohner noch ca. 55 % Ungardeutsche im Dorf. Die Infrastruktur ist gut, das Straßennetz, die Wasser und Stromleitung ist ausgebaut. Unser Dorf hat auch eine Kabelfernseher Anlage, und die Geschäfte sichern die Versorgung.

Der Verkehr und die Verbindungsmöglichkeiten zu Pecs, Baja, Szekszard und Harkany sind auch sehr gut.

Die Menschen beschäftigen sich hauptsächlich mit der Landwirtschaft. Das Hauptprofil der Landwirtschaftlichen Aktiengesellschaft ist Viehzucht und Getreideanbau. Das Gesundenheitswesen des Ortes kann man auch als gut bezeichnen.

In der Schule und im Kindergarten lernt man auch deutsch. Im Kulturhaus sind Kulturgruppen tätig, so wie die Jugendblaskapelle, die Sängerkreisen, die Volkstanzgruppen und der Sekler Pfauzirkel.

Die Sammlung des Dorfmuseums wurde seit 1989 von vielen Besuchern betrachtet.

Die beliebteste Sportartist der Fussball.

Wenn man unser Dorf ansieht, merkt man, das die Einwohner schöne Häuser haben.

Die Gestaltung dieses neuen Dorfes, nach den Stürmen des Krieges, wurde durch gemeinsame Arbeit durch friedliches Zusammenleben verwirklicht.