National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Solymár [¤]
Click to zoom

Solymár

(County Pest)

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base. It bears: azure, on mounds vert a falconer habited in a tunic gules and trousers vert, holding on the dexter arm a falcon. On the dexter side in the background a castle, on the sinister side a vine stock is borne.

The falconer as a heraldic charge first appeared on the municipality seal in 1885. When the church frescoes were painted in 1901, the charge was shown displayed on a shield. The sculptor László Valkó made a relief with the same motif in 1941, and decorated the fa(ade of the municipality hall with it. (Today the relief is to be seen on the pedestal of the flagpole in front of the municipality hall). The picture depicting the settlement's coat-of-arms is a work by the painter Ferenc Bokros, made on the occasion of the 700-year anniversary of the Solymár's foundation.

Solymár has a favourable location, which is proven by the fact that in the past 5,000 years of its history several cultures left their traces here.

Due to Solymár's exceptionally good climate, here one can find rare species of plants which do not grow wild anywhere else (e.g. the blue-petalled Pilis flax or the mountain tarsóka). It may have been the abundant natural springs and the nearby arable lands that made the area attractive for settlers. Traces of human settlements have been here for several thousand years.

In the cave called Ördöglyuk prehistoric people used to dwell; their remains go back to 3,000 B.C. On Castle Hill, Bronze Age finds from the 10th century BC have been unearthed. Burial places from the Roman times (2nd century AD), the age of the Avars (6th century AD), and the period of the Magyar conquest (10th century AD) have also been found.

The first written mention of the settlement by the name Solomar goes back to a document dated 5 May 1266. Later the village and its castle were recorded as Salmar or Saalmar. Genuine development only began in the early 1700s.

The population resettled at Solymár after the Turkish occupation was mostly German-speaking. The few Slav (Serbian) families that had also appeared here soon got assimilated, and nearly the entire local population spoke German. This origin was to be one of decisive importance in the 300 years that followed. However, the inhabitants of Solymár have always been aware of the fact how much they owe their new country, and have proved their loyalty on innumerable occasions.

During the war of independence in 1848-9 the village of Solymár, dwelt at the time by 220 families, was able to set up a 117-men unit of national guards. In the first world war 64 locals lost their lives, while after the second war chroniclers had to note the names of 60 victims.

Upon the request of the majority of the population, in 1890 the local authorities decided that the church school where German was the language of education be replaced by a state elementary school with Hungarian as the language of education. Thus the children of the families who wanted to learn Hungarian could go to the local school, and were not forced to attend a school elsewhere.

Due to the fact that Solymár's population is dominantly German-speaking, 20th-century historical events, which turned the whole world upside down, always manifested themselves in a more emphatic form here than in other villages, where mainly Hungarian was spoken. Owing to frequent political changes, at Solymár the teaching of German or that of Hungarian always had a strong political overtone. However, Solymár's Swabian inhabitants were always able to demonstrate the sobriety of their thinking, and their effort to co-exist and work peacefully. (A good example of this is the Declaration, which appeared in the daily paper Új Nemzedék on 14 January, 1939).

Today's villagers can proudly identify themselves with their past in their everyday life and in their culture. Solymár, as a settlement inhabited by an ethnic minority, plays an outstanding role in cherishing the traditions of ethnic Germans in Hungary. The teaching of German is model-like, as proven by the awards won by the pupils of the local school at national competitions.

Local economy also reflects the lifestyle of Swabians, who are known by their hard work and frugality. Unfortunately they had to undergo many ordeals in the past, the most disastrous of which was the great fire of 1862 and the phylloxera epidemic of the 1880s. The pest destroyed all the vineyards of Solymár and deprived the majority of the dwellers of their source of living.

Starting everything anew was not easy, but economy was eventually on the rise. The Budapest-Esztergom railway line was opened in 1895, which meant an important step in the settlement's development. The coal mine and the brick factory at nearby Pilisvörösvár began to operate between 1900 and 1920. The sewage system was built, telephone cables were laid down, a six-classroom school opened, which was soon to be enlarged, and a municipality midwife was employed. All these changes signalled that a considerable growth had begun at Solymár. Between the two world wars the first movie theatre opened, new roads were constructed, a football ground was laid out, and a regular coach service between Budapest and Solymár also started to operate.

After the second world war the history of the settlement began painfully with the forceful relocation of the ethnic Germans, as well as with nationalisation and collectivisation.The first signs of development were only seen in 1953, when well-do-do farmers (kulaks) were no more regarded as the potential enemies of the communist system. Running water was installed in the houses, the sewage system was improved, the existing roads got paved and new roads were built. Lime-burning industry started, the local co-operative savings bank opened in 1957, while in 1959 the most important local firm, the PEMÜ works began to operate. As a result of this development, on September 1, 1970, Solymár was raised to the rank of municipality. The change in the status also meant a faster pace in progress, whereby the PEMÜ residential area was established, the supermarket was built, the dental and pediatric surgeries began to operate with residential specialists, public utilities got further improved, a sewage treatment plant started to work, and litter collection was also organised. In addition, the 'Blue Kindergarten' and an infant day care centre were opened. Private enterprises are also returning to Solymár, especially in the fields of commerce and hospitality.