National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Sióagárd [** ¤]
Click to zoom

Sióagárd

(County Tolna)

The village of Sióagárd (called Agárd before 1903) is located in the county Tolna, on the left bank of the Sió Canal, above the confluence of the Sió and the Sárvíz.

The coat-of-arms is a shield erect with a pointed base, in fess barry wavy of four azure, argent, vert, argent and vert. The upper field bears: azure, a gate tower in pale or with two windows and a battlement of six merlons, the horseshoe-arched gate bearing a half-hoisted portcullis or. To the dexter and to the sinister a similar but shorter tower or (single-windowed, the gate without a portcullis). By applying heraldic traditions more liberally, the fields argent between the wavy lines can be regarded as two barrulets wavy argent. The lower field bears: vert, an enormous bunch of grapes gules between two vine leaves or leaning to the dexter and to the sinister respectively.

Across the top a five-pointed open crown verdured or and adorned with sapphires and rubies, the three leaves interspersed with two Latin cross-shaped spikes.

The blue field of the shield symbolises Sióagárd's favourable climatic conditions and the abundance of waters, the silver bands represent the rivers Sió and Sárvíz, whereas the green field bordered by them signifies the complexity and continuity of life from the Bronze Age, the time of the Avars and the Celts, up to the present day. In addition, is also expresses that the dwellers of Hungarian, German, Slovak and South Slav origin belong together and are intertwined.

The grape expresses the efficiency of farming. As proven by the letters of the poet János Arany, this has a long tradition; for example, in 1574-5 the village paid a tax of more than 40,000 akce (Turkish unit of payment) of tax to the Turkish conquerors. Later it was viticulture and the growing of paprika that brought about further development, the evidence of which is the row of cellars cut into the river bank at Leányvár, the farmers' club founded in 1938, the status of municipality obtained in 1958, the still viable agricultural co-operative, the thriving private farms, and the Alisca Wine Festival organised in the summer.

The three castle towers refer to the fact that Sióagárd is located at the meeting point of one-time important roads. The remains of several prehistoric strongholds are still to be seen. In the Roman times there was a posting house here, whereas the remains of the earthworks at Bat, Janya and Leányvár are linked with a popular legend about the family of Bath, a legendary landlord. The three towers also express that in 1930 the area of the village grew with two more plots of land, the pieces of property at Janya and Kajmád. In addition, the towers evoke those troubled times when the village suffered heavy losses: during the 15-year-war Sióagárd got nearly totally depopulated, whereas 83 villagers fell in action during the first world war, and 54 in the second.

The crown expresses the village's traditional autonomy, its local authority, and the proper operation of its council. The gems represent the intention of maintaining institutions such as the kindergarten, the school, the museum, the library, the local television and the sports club. The two Latin crosses are reminders of the fact that Christianity had to be spread twice: first after the foundation of the Hungarian state, then after the expulsion of the Turks. In addition, they symbolise that in the settlement both monasticism (the Benedictine monks of Szekszárd) and the secular church were present. The crosses also represent Sióagárd's two churches, one of which was built in 1732, while the other was consecrated in 1886.