National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Simaság [¤]
Click to zoom

Simaság

(Vas County)

Shield erect and azure, its base is curved to a point. In shield two lions rampant and or are borne on a verdured crown or. Beasts are facing each other and are holding a scimitar in their dexter paws while touching each other with their sinister paws.

Between the two lions a shield gules with a patriarchal cross argent in the middle. Shield is topped by a verdured crown or.

Simaság is located in the middle of the plains of the Répce river, where the streams Metőc and Pós meet. The village lies in the northern section of the county border and it came into being from the union of the two villages of Simaháza and Felsőság.

The remains of the one-time alluvial cones of the Répce river only horizontally disect the surface of this flat area, which is covered by mud, loess ands gravel.

The village of Simaság came into being from the union of the two settlements of Felsőság and Simaháza, an event, which took place in 1927.

In the Middle Ages parts of the Village of Ság were nicknamed Frying Ság and Baking Ság; these names refer to various services the inhabitants of the settlements carried out for the royal court. The first written mention of the settlement’s name goes back to 1265.

The village’s most important sight is the 18th century Festetics mansion, which was designed by Menyhért Hefele. Other sights in the village include the cemetery wall and gate from cca 1740. The church of the settlement was built in late Baroque style and it was named after Mary Magdalene.

The two world wars of the 20th century demanded a lot of sacrifice from the inhabitants of the village. 21 local inhabitants died in the second world war. It is characteristic of the strictness of the political system of the postwar period that the victims of the war could only be officially remembered half a century later, in the period after the changing of the political system in Hungary in 1989. In the former administrative system Simaság was a district centre.