National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat of Arms of the Village of Sényő
Click to zoom

Sényő

(Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County)

The coat of arms of Sényő village is an upright disc shield placed in a blue field and closed with a single curve. In silver-coloured swaddling clothes placed int he left side of this shield is situated a brownish red, stylised fox stepping forward. In the blue field above the swaddling clothes there is a stylised golden apple and in the blue field under the swaddlin clothes a stylised, three-leafed golden tobacco leaf marked with lines can be seen, and the golden band under the disc shield has the notice SÉNYŐ.

The history of Sényő

The name „Sényő” can be derived from a personal name. However, it was first mentioned only at the beginnin of the 14th century. It was first recorded in 1320 in a document in which King Károly Róbert confirmed an ancestor of the Kállays in his right of possession.

The settlement is mentioned as „SEMIEN” in the Zichy Archives in 1379, as „SYNEW” according to the National Archives of Lelesz in 1421 and „SERNEW” and „SENYEW” according to the Archives of the Ibrányi family in 1480.

Sényő first belonged to the Kállay and then to the Zoltán family.

The settlement was the estate of the Domokos family in 1329, and this Domokos was the ancestor of the Sényői family. The Sényőis still owned this estate in 1423. However, they already shared the landed property with other members of the lower nobility, namely the Bákai, Jékei and Téthi families.

Int he 14th century Sényő was owned by various members of the lower nobility such as the Zathi, Bogdányi, Kemecsei, Ibrányi, Senyey, Iklódi and Hetyei families.

In the history of the village religion took a dominant part: this settlement was Calvinist.

The practising of religion was considerably determined by the denomination of the landowner. The population of the village always followed the religion of the landowner. This custom used to be dominant as long as the 1900s when other religions also appeared.

The village used to have three landowners and some nobles, while two-third of the population were serfs. At the time of the emancipation of serfs 649 inhabitants lived in this settlement. After the emancipation of serfs the peasants were redistributed land, and a part of them started farming, while the others were int he landowner’s service.

The village used to have three farms accommodating the landowners’ servant. These servants did various types of work (coachmen, farmhands, swineherds, herdsmen, shepherds).

In 1930 the population totalled 1112.

The monograph of Szabolcs County published in 1900 says the followin about Sényő

Sényő is a small settlement, havin 85 houses and 644, mainly Roman Catholic, inhabitants. The village has its post office in Nyír-Bogdány and its telegraph office in Kemecse. At the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century it used to be owned by the Zoltán, Sipos, Borsy, Pap, Oláh, Somogyi, Vida and Budaházy families. At present Sényő is the estate of Leveleki Béla. There are three old mansions in this settlement, two are possessed by Leveleki Béla and the third one belongs to Zoltán István.

The publication of Szabolcs County in 1939 includes the following description:

In 1875 this settlement was the estate of Kállay with 279 inhabitants. Sényő is a small settlement in the Nyírbogdány district. Ilona farm, Kisharaszt farm and Zoltán farm belonged to this estate. Its territory totals 3197 cadastral acres. It has a population of 1112 persons (548 men and 564 women), all of them are Hungarian-speaking. As for their religion, 442 persons are Roman Catholic, 270 resident are Greek Catholic and 359 inhabitants are Calvinist. The number of houses in 148. The settlement has a Roman Catholic and a Calvinist primary school, a Roman Catholic and a Calvinist general further education centre. The population makes their living from primary production and the industry. The permanent market of the settlement is Nyíregyháza.

The history of Sényő after 1945

After 1945 the estates ceased to exist, the landlords gave their servants building plots. The farms were demolished and new streets such as Rákóczy and Petőfi Streets were opened. All the former servants built houses and started farming. After the war, delivery obligation to the state was introduced. The population might deliver anything it could such as cattle, potatoes, grain or eggs. In 1949 the state established co-operatives for the poor who could not fulfil their delivery obligation. In 1951 and 1952 it became compulsory to join these co-operatives.

Three co-operatives were established in the village: Kossuth - co-operatives

Béke (Peace) co-operatives

Rákossy - co-operatives

In 1953, under the effect of the Nagy Imre Programme, Béke and Rákossy Co-operatives dissolved entirely and Kossuth co-operatives broke up partially. The persons leavin the co-operatives continued farming individually. As a result of the revolution in 1956, the delivery obligation was terminated and the co-operative dissolved.

An individual co-operative started to operate again in 1961. This organisation dealt with animal husbandry and plant cultivation. The co-operatives of Sényő and Nyírtura united in 1976. The cooperative established a plastic, technical and confectionery industrial plant. At the time of the democtratic transformation in 1989 these plants closed up and the co-operative definitively terminated in December 1996.

Sényő and Nyírtura had a joint village council until 1990. However, as it had an adverse effect ont he developent of the settlement, after the elections of 1990 the two villages separated. Then Sényő formed an independent village council, later on a mayor’s office and the settlement started to develop.